Christians: Gay marriage...?

If you don't think gay marriage is right, then that's fine, but why do you try and say that the whole country has to agree with you? I mean, when I say I'm an atheist, most Christians don't go, "Oh, nobody in this country should be allowed to be an atheist because God says it's... show more If you don't think gay marriage is right, then that's fine, but why do you try and say that the whole country has to agree with you?

I mean, when I say I'm an atheist, most Christians don't go, "Oh, nobody in this country should be allowed to be an atheist because God says it's wrong." You might disagree with my beliefs, but I don't see any of these anti-gay marriage folk trying to take away the right to religious freedom.

However, when I say I want to get married to my girlfriend, what do I hear? "You can't because God says it's wrong."

Doesn't preventing same-sex marriage violate my right to be an atheist?

I mean, it's not like homosexuals want all Christians to suddenly love and accept them, or have gay marriages themselves. They just want equal rights. How is that even an issue for Christians?

**Note: I know that not all Christians are against gay marriage being legalized.**

(Please no Bible passage answers, I'm an ex-Catholic and I've read it many times)
Update: Edit: Okay, you guys, I understand that you believe in God's law. But this is a democracy, remember? Not a theocracy.