Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

"...now I am become Death [Shiva], the destroyer of worlds..." .Robert Oppenheimer. Your Comments Please .

"...now I am become Death [Shiva], the destroyer of worlds..."

Physicist Robert Oppenheimer, Supervising Scientist of the Manhattan Project on 16 July 1945 at 0529 HRS,in the Jornada del Muerto desert nearthe Trinity site in the White Sands Missile Range.... quoting from the Bhagavad-Gita upon witnessing the first atomic detonation by mankind.

The joint work of the scientists at Los Alamos resulted in the first nuclear explosion near Alamogordo on July 16, 1945, the site of which Oppenheimer named "Trinity".

Oppenheimer later recalled that while witnessing the explosion he thought of a verse from the Hindu holy book, the Bhagavad Gita:

“ If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one "

Update:

Oppenheimer later would be persuaded to quote again in 1965 for a television broadcast:

“ We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty, and to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Reminds me of G.K. Chesterton, when responding to the question "What's wrong with the world today?" He wrote in the following.

Dear Sirs,

I am.

Sincerely yours,

G. K. Chesterton

Man will eventually destroy man. Charles Darwin said one thing that bothered him most about his theory is that, if nature was read in tooth and claw as he had seen it to be. Then the very ascendancy of the evolutionary product that we now had, had survived by way of violence and by way of aggression and didn't know what was going to stop us from continuing it.

Something to think about...

Just My Thoughts!

• 3 years ago

Robert Oppenheimer Quotes

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

"...now I am become Death [Shiva], the destroyer of worlds..." .Robert Oppenheimer. Your Comments Please .

"...now I am become Death [Shiva], the destroyer of worlds..."

Physicist Robert Oppenheimer, Supervising Scientist of the Manhattan Project on 16 July 1945 at 0529 HRS,in the Jornada del Muerto desert nearthe Trinity site in the White Sands Missile Range.... quoting from the...

Source(s): quot death shiva destroyer worlds quot robert oppenheimer comments please: https://tr.im/CkeTQ
  • 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awNZo

Starbuck: I gather that you read Lindzen's piece on scientific integrity and the current state of affairs at the NAS? If not it is below. Read it -plain and simple. The article should be reprinted in virtually every professional Journal in every discipline of science. It is a vitally important issue. I am a 35 year practicing Earth Scientist who has 3 different Professional associations and am Licensed and Permitted in my jurisdictions. I saw your qualifications and am impressed; alas I am a mere mortal that stopped at the BSc - Honors level. I did it despite numerous offers to continue on for a PhD. Because of my tender age of 20 and my need to earn a living, I declined. I tried to post into your thread on "qualifications" but it has disappeared! To those that think that AGW is a simple and straightforward, scientifically resolved issue, then that will answer the question as to why you need either an actual qualified opinion or you need to seek the honest advice of somebody you know and trust to formulate your opinion. Just be aware that the NAS, he NRC, the Royal Society and the IPCC do not actually produce "science". They provide Government policy initiatives no different than those of the "Discovery Institute". Unless you can see and critically evaluate the data and it is readily available and not "smoothed out" or "simplified", then it isn't Science!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I used that exact same quote earlier in the week when I said that any presidential candidate that was adamantly opposed to abortion on moral grounds should immediately disqualify themselves from looking for a job that gives them access to the type of power that Oppenheimer was alluding to

From a strictly moral standpoint no true Christian should ever run for president

• 1 decade ago

The world is what it is. It is best that men of reason arm themselves so well as to remain free.

• Ptah
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes, pancakes are better with syrup.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

is there a question in there somewhere?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.