"...now I am become Death [Shiva], the destroyer of worlds..." .Robert Oppenheimer. Your Comments Please .

"...now I am become Death [Shiva], the destroyer of worlds..." Physicist Robert Oppenheimer, Supervising Scientist of the Manhattan Project on 16 July 1945 at 0529 HRS,in the Jornada del Muerto desert nearthe Trinity site in the White Sands Missile Range.... quoting from the Bhagavad-Gita upon... show more "...now I am become Death [Shiva], the destroyer of worlds..."

Physicist Robert Oppenheimer, Supervising Scientist of the Manhattan Project on 16 July 1945 at 0529 HRS,in the Jornada del Muerto desert nearthe Trinity site in the White Sands Missile Range.... quoting from the Bhagavad-Gita upon witnessing the first atomic detonation by mankind.

The joint work of the scientists at Los Alamos resulted in the first nuclear explosion near Alamogordo on July 16, 1945, the site of which Oppenheimer named "Trinity".
Oppenheimer later recalled that while witnessing the explosion he thought of a verse from the Hindu holy book, the Bhagavad Gita:
“ If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one "
Update: Oppenheimer later would be persuaded to quote again in 1965 for a television broadcast: “ We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he... show more Oppenheimer later would be persuaded to quote again in 1965 for a television broadcast:

“ We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty, and to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.

Website :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Oppenheimer