jen asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Whatever happened to...?

Richard and Deborah Jahnke? When did they get out of jail? Married or kids? (I am hoping they have a nice life). I remember this case from when I was in high school, and I think Deborah went to a juvenile facility, and I think Richard went to juvie till he was 21, then to a adult facility.

Favorite Answer

They are both currently free...having served their time

From Publishers Weekly

Prendergast, who for Rolling Stone covered the trials of teenagers Richard and Deborah Jahnke in Wyoming for the 1982 murder of their father, has produced an objective, affecting account of the case. A borderline psychotic, Jahnke senior subjected his wife and children to abuse both physical and psychological and, for a time, made sexual advances toward his daughter. Their residence became a house of terror, with the mother the most terrified of all, according to Prendergast. The children's feeble and intermittent attempts to acquaint outsiders with their situation were of no avail. Finally, with his sister's semiconnivance, Richard shot his father. The trials of the two, held separately, showed American justice at its worst: a prosecutor more interested in convictions than in finding the truth, and two inept and hidebound judges, one of whom would not admit evidence of child abuse. Deborah's sentence has now been commuted to one year of probation and Richard has been released on parole. A searing, convincing indictment. Literary Guild alternate.

Copyright 1986 Reed Business Information, Inc.

From Library Journal

After suffering years of paternal abuse, 16-year-old Richard Jahnke, aided by his sister, Deborah, shot his father to death at their Cheyenne, Wyoming home. This case received national attention as a segment on 60 Minutes and as a TV movie, Right To Kill? The Jahnke children won the sympathy of many, including the author. They were both convicted of voluntary manslaughter but are now free. Prendergast had the full cooperation of the Jahnkes in writing this thorough account. Essentially, it is a story of a brutal father who drove his son to murder and of the failure of the community to respond to cries for help. This readable book should be a popular choice for most libraries. Literary Guild alternate selection. Gregor A. Preston, Univ. of California Lib., Davis

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Whatever happened to...?

Source(s): happened to: https://tr.im/zuqe0

I remembered this case when I was in junior high and watching the made for TV movie on ABC or CBS Sunday matinee. And I have always thought about them over the years and wonder what ever happened to them. As Jen said "did they stay in jail, or have a family etc. Now I know and glad they finally were able to move on with their lives. When I heard of this and saw the movie special on their lives and their abuse anyone would eventually snap under those abusive situations.Good for them

• I know the name of the show it was called "The Right to Kill" starring Justine Bateman which aired on TV in 1985 and I saw that show.

• hiller

Richard Jahnke

I grew up in Cheyenne, WY and went to the same schools as Richard and Deborah. I remember the movie and Justine Bateman's fine portrayal of Deborah. The father was a monster and threatened to kill Richard after the father came home. Hope the siblings are doing well at this time.

Terrance Trent Darby