Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

How many people know this fact about Martin Luther King?

Pillar of Fire: America in the King Years, 1963-65.

(book reviews) Jon Meacham

01/19/98 Newsweek, Page 62

January 6, 1964, was a long day for Martin Luther King Jr. He spent the morning seated in the reserved section of the Supreme Court, listening as lawyers argued New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, a landmark case rising out of King's crusade against segregation in Alabama. The minister was something of an honored guest: Justice Arthur Goldberg quietly sent down a copy of Kings account of the Montgomery bus boycott, "Stride Toward Freedom," asking for an autograph. That night King retired to his room at the Willard Hotel. There FBI bugs reportedly picked up 14 hours of party chatter, the clinking of glasses and the sounds of illicit sex--including King's cries of "I'm f--ing for God" and "I'm not a ***** tonight!"

Note: What is not mentioned in this article is that Martin Luther King was having sex with three White women, one of whom he brutally beat while screaming the above mentioned quotes. Much of the public information on King's use of church money to hire prostitutes and his beating them came from King's close personal friend, Rev. Ralph Abernathy (pictured above), in his 1989 book, "And the walls came tumbling down."

Sources:

Newsweek Magazine 1-19-1998, page 62

"And the walls came tumbling down," by Rev. Ralph Abernathy (1989)

Favorite Answer

So what? MLK had sex - big deal.

Does it detract from who he was, what he said and what he stands for - no. Not a jot.

• kennyj

Martin Luther King Jr. should be remembered for the great things he did and it should be lamented that he did not live longer so that he could have done even more. But MLK was also a flawed human, one with secrets he wanted no one to know. I am sure glad that the FBI was not around to tape all the parties I attended and I am sure you feel the same way Abraham. Our culture's fascination with celebrities and famous people also loves to see people fall - the more famous and influential the better. My view is that digging up the dirt on long dead public servants and the great people who helped make the world better serves the interests of those who do the digging. They get their 15 minutes of fame and some dubious award for "investigative reporting". My greatest wish is that the people who find pleasure in pointing out the flaws of MLK can live by the high standard that which they demand of others. King's actions were ugly but they are forgiveable . . . not because he was someone special and above criticism but because when all our lives are laid out for scrutiny, he is just like all of us.

• MOI

i don't see the interest to say all the things now... he is died and he done a lot of good things for black people... who does care what he done on his bed??? it's not our business... of course he wasn't an angel... he's not god but just a man with his qualities and of course his defects who tried to help his people....