Science and witchcraft?

During the Elizabethan Era in England... I'm writing a paper about witchcraft, and I need to relate science to witchcraft. How did science relate to witchcraft back then? Were scientists considered witches? Where witches only old women who brewed herbs either to poison or to cure somebody? Were there... show more During the Elizabethan Era in England... I'm writing a paper about witchcraft, and I need to relate science to witchcraft. How did science relate to witchcraft back then? Were scientists considered witches? Where witches only old women who brewed herbs either to poison or to cure somebody? Were there male-witches too? Were there people who did scientific research in England whose work wasn't looked upon approvingly by the church? Were those people tried for practicing witchcraft, or were science and witchcraft not related at all and they were just tried for being scientists? Like what happened with Galileo, did that kind of stuff happen in England too? Or were there not many scientists in England at all? What about philosophy, or the enlightenment thinkers? What about spirituality and supernatural forces? What was science defined as? Was science closer to medicine or philosophy or astrology than actual science? Please cite your sources if you can.
5 answers 5