Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

About dying my hair red?

I want to get the underside of my hair bright red... like not natural hair color red, but cherry, firetruck, apple, you-name-it RED. I am going to the salon tomorrow. I have a couple Q's though.

1. Do they have to bleach my hair before dying it.

2. How long before the color fades AND how to keep it from fading for longer.

3. IF they do have to bleach it, when the red fades will i be stuck with blonde/white hair mixed in with my brown, or will it just be pinkish?

Please answer all questions with something other than "I don't know"

If you don't know, please don't guess... I would like informed answers.

Favorite Answer

Well, I think I can answer your questions the best. I have been dying my sister in laws hair (I am a hair stylist) for years, and she has a crazy, Ronald McDonald type of red! First of all, what will determine if your hair needs to be bleached or not depends on what color your hair is now. If it is virgin (never been chemically treated) hair and it is light blond, it probably won't have to be bleached. If it is any dark shade, yes, it will have to be bleached out before dying it red to achieve the best, most vibrant color. Ok, on to your second question...it is true, red always fades. You can do a few things at home to slow down the fading that will happen gradually. First of all, use a shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair. Secondly, there are a few gloss products available. There is a red one by John Freida that is pretty vibrant and would be great to use between salon services. When it does fade, it will turn into a lighter red eventually a pinkish shade. If you don't trust doing any coloring yourself at home (the glossing) you can have that done in the salon for a lesser price between major color processes. Let me know if you have any other questions!! Hope this helps!!

I am assuming from your profile your hair is brown. Unless it's blonde, then yes it will need to be bleached. This will cause significant damage to your hair.

They will then go over the bleached hair with a bright red dye. Red, of all colours, fades the fastest because of the size of the molecules in the pigment. To keep it very bright you will need to have it reapplied frequently (minus the bleach). To help keep it from fading you can wash it infrequently, and use color-protective shampoo/conditioner.

It will start to fade the first time you wash it, and gradually turn pink. Faded bright unnatural colors do not fade to "cute" ones. It will fade to a washed-out red, similar to when clothing fades in color.

I would strongly suggest unless you have the commitment to the upkeep and the funds to back it up...asking your stylist to perhaps create you a couple of extensions that can be touched up as they grow out. There will be little or no hair damage and if you change your mind you can always get rid of them. The only way to get rid of the permanent, two-part process described above is to color over it...and let it grow out.

Source(s): I am a stylist
  • one

1) It depends on how dark your hair is now. They may only need to use a HI-LIFT RED. Or Lighten to a Medium Blonde then tint it Red.

2) Again, this depends on the type of processing done. Most Reds fade easily and quickly. Figure getting a refresher about once every four to six weeks. And using a color enhancing shampoo and / or conditioner (Like Artec) will help prevent fading and "Off-Color" tones.

3) If it is properly processed and maintained, the color should not fade to a great extent. (Maybe to a light red / deep pink) But you can always Re-Tint to your original color.

I Hope This Helps.

Good-Luck!!

I'm a hairstylist and first of all you can always ask your hairstylist these questions when you go tomorrow, she should answer any questions you might have.

1. They only have to bleach your hair to the level of red you want to be. Most likely if your hair is dark they will have to bleach it a little. If its lighter they shouldn't have to.

2. When you first get it done it will fade fast, red is the hardest color to keep vibrant, it fades fast, but the more you color it, it will build up color deposit and start lasting longer.

3. When it fades it will fade lighter and lighter red until you refresh the color.

Hope this helps, good luck!:-)

My cousin dyed her her strawberry bright red.

Hair faded in a bout 3-4 weeks. It turned to like an orangish brown - not an attractive colour.

Yes she bleached it.

Use shampoo and conditioner for red hair and use color treated hair products.

It should last if you take care of it - you can always ask the hair dresser.

From my experience, not only does red fade, but it is also very stubborn to re-color to anything that's not red. Bleaching before coloring always produces the most vibrant and saturated color but it seriously dries out your hair. And faded red hair with bleaching underneath does look pink.