<3bree* asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

What does this phrase mean?

In the book To Kill A Mocking Bird, by Harper Lee what does this phrase mean?

God's loving folks like you love yourself. ?

thanks!!

• Kathij
    Favorite Answer

We all love ourselves. Well, God loves everyone just like we love ourselves. We forgive ourselves, we understand ourselves, we defend ourselves, we take care of ourselves all because we love ourselves. That's what God does for folks because he loves them the same way we love ourselves.

Boy, that came our really clear....

. "It doesn't make sense to me. Looks like if Mr. Arthur was hankerin' after heaven he'd come out on the porch at least. Atticus says God's loving folks like you love yourself-"

This quote, from Scout, plays yet another major role in the story line of To Kill a Mockingbird. It shows how the children, like a previous quote states, grow up learning old ways. The reader can see how Scout, although most of the time thinking for herself, even takes after the town somewhat. She stereotypes Boo Radley just like the rest of the town. This quote also displays foreshadowing. Later in the novel, the children get to meet Boo Radley, and see what kind of person he is. This sentence plays into the last part of the book. Scout stereotypes Boo, but she will find out later on what kind of demeanor he takes.

Source(s): hope this helps...this is what my english teacher told me and some of my own words
  • Betty

Turned away - a horse has been broken in and then turned out to grow up for a season, physically. Tying up -or tied up, - when a horse has a sort of spasm usually in the back legs, also called lymphangitis, a swelling and paralysis due to fast excersise after a period of rest while still on hard feed. This is serious and the only prevention is to change to bulk feed only on the night before a day off, possible turn out into paddock and then gentle excersise for the first 1/2 hour or so the next time he or she is ridden. If they do tie up then forced excersise is unadvisable. Box home and keep warm till vet arrives. Good to do - easy to keep both in feed (keeps weight on easily) and also easy to handle (groom, box, shoe, clip etc) depending on context. Good doer is a horse who seems to thrive on hard work and not alot of hard food and supplements. Founder is another word for laminitis an inflamation of the blood vessels in the feet with complications. Usually because the horse is too fat and is on lush grass. Was once confined to ponies but now horses seem to be getting it more too. Can also come on later in life due to Cushings Disease - another symptom would be thick curly coat in summer.

I have not read this whole book yet. Although, I should have. I think it means that you must love yourself and the way that God made you to really love others. Which is very true. Because obviously, someone who hates himself is never as nice to people as someone who doesn't.

• belieu

What Does Hankering Mean

God loves everyone. Most people love themselves and put their own needs before others. God loves people alot more than u think. good book

Thanks Bree you made me go read it! I love how many ways it has been interpreted for those who answered seriously. To me I think it means God loves people like we love ourselves. We are hardest on ourselves and yet we have unconditional love for ourselves. I could be way off, but that is what I get from it.

not sure..but that is my all time favorite book!!! i think it means people tend to love themselves the most..and that is how God loves others.

I think it's pretty apparent.

He's telling someone not to hate themself, because that kind of self attitude disappoints others.

The first poster hasn't a clue about life. That's a great and important book.

People who believe in God love themselves and everyone around them. In other words, they respect other just as much as they respect themselves