Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 1 decade ago

Are people with lighter eyes (blue or green) more sensitive to sun light?

Just wondering.

38 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it has been clinically proven that blue irises scatter and transmit more unwanted light into the retina than brown irises. See the work of TJ van den Burg, a Netherlands physicist specializing in intraocular light scatter.

• necrowill2 years agoReport

For me being blue eyed my night vision is spot on. Day hours suck.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Blue Eyes Sensitive To Light

• Melli
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

people lighter eyes blue green sensitive sun light

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Interesting that you should ask this question. I have very light blue eyes and I have always been really sensitive to the sun. I remember telling a friend of mine with brown eyes way back in high school something about my eyes being really sensitive to light because of the color and his dismissing it as my talking sh** (as he was predisposed to doing). I always thought it seemed logical and I had deduced this simply from comparing my sensitivity to my friends' sensitivities and also comparing eye color. When you asked your question, I decided it was finally time after 25 years or thereabouts to actually research the question. Lo and behold, a scientist agrees with me.

I have that same problem with night driving that heo3223 has.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good question. I don't know, I have light blue eyes and I am very sensitive to sunlight. Always in shades outside.

• 1 decade ago

Yes,I am.I have brown eyed children who are not nearly as sensitive to the sun's rays as I am with light green eyes.

• RoVale
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes, they are and the eyes don't necessarily have to be a light color either. They can be dark blue or gray. It's due to a lack of pigmentation that causes more light to enter the eye.

• 1 decade ago

Yes. I have very light blue eyes and i have always had trouble seeing in the sunlight or seeing late at night when driving. You know like its very hard for me to drive when the sun is fully out or late at night because its too dangerous. My doctor said its normal for people with really light eyes to be even more sensitive to bright lights and to also find it hard to see at night.

• 5 years ago

I have light green eyes and I squint like crazy out in the sun.

• 5 years ago

people lighter eyes blue green sensitive sun light: https://tinyurl.im/e/are-people-with-lighter-eyes-...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.