Ed T asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Should NFL rookie salary's be capped?

The highest paid NFL players have not played a single down and are unproven.

Anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of all rookies are busts.

Where is the logic behind paying rookies more than proven, dependable veterans?

I think the current rookie salaries should be capped and the extra bonus money is based on actual performance on the field. The league adjusts rookie salaries if they outperformed their contracts and this should be kept but the bonus money needs to be controlled.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

no, team owners have the choice to be stupid.

• 1 decade ago

I believe the fact that rookies that have never taken a snap in the pros getting paid more than players that KNOW what they are doing is absolutely ridiculous!!!! It should be capped, too many teams lose money on bust picks because of this, the NFL is full of surprises, for instance Alex Smith of the 49ers, so far he hasnt turned out to be anything special and is getting paid more than 60 million dollars just for being "OK". When a player like Jake Delhomme a hardened veteran is making about 2 million dollars, the league is confused, and I think a Rooke Salary cap needs to be done, Roger Goodell is a hardened fist unlike Paul Talilague, he gets things done, his next priority should be a rookie salary cap, and that is all i have to say about that.

• 1 decade ago

I agree, they need to limit the money these rookies make. They make far more than proven veterans. I think if there was a cap per pick order (say 15 million total for #1, 14.5 for #2) a lot more teams would want to trade up, thus making draft day more excitng. Also it will help avoid teams trying to get their signing bonuses back (like the Lions with Charles Rogers) It will also help teams aoid holdout players, since the rookies aren't making more than they are now.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

The NFL should have the NBA type rookie salary cap. Downside - teams will have to guarantee 2 years Upside - teams will not have to overpay and the salaries will be stablelized.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The NFL players association will probably fight anything as far reaching as you suggest. If you make rookies that cheap, teams will keep rookies over vets in much higher numbers. Most players in the players association are veteran non-stars.

• 1 decade ago

After seeing how much money the Falcons gave to Matt Ryan, YES!! These guys are unproven and they are able to get all this money compared to proven players. I started to think why some college students did not come out this year for the draft (James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga) when they would have went in the first round. What for...when each year guaranteed money given to players increases.

Source(s): Matt Ryan is getting more money than Jake Long who went first. Jake will have a better career than Matt
  • 1 decade ago

I would like to see rookie salary caps per position. You could then make performance incentives (yards, tackles, receptions, int., blocking grading, etc.) to reward the rookies that do contribute during the year.

• 1 decade ago

i wish they would. not only is it more logical, but it will also push to ensure the salary cap stays intact after 2011. the NFL will die down if the salary cap is eliminated, just as the MLB has died down since the strike of 1994.

• 1 decade ago

Yes. There is no reason that an unproven player should be making more than any NFL-proven veteran.

• D.C.
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

THERE SHOULD BE A CAP ON ALL SPORTS PLAYERS , I REMEMBER WHEN YOU COULD AFFORD TO TAKE IN A GAME AND NOT BREAK THE BANK DOING IT .WITH ALL THESE HIGH AND GETTING HIGHER SPORTS CONTRACTS , FOR SOME TICKETS YOU ALMOST NEED TO TAKE OUT A LOAN . IF EVERY SPORTS FAN SAT OUT A YEAR IN PROTEST , THE TICKETS WOULD BE CHEAPER AND LOWER CONTRACTS FOR THE PRIMA-DONNA PLAYERS .

• 1 decade ago

of course it should be capped..it also eliminated holdouts

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.