coppereos_013 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What is a good / healthy and affordable dog food for my Miniature Dachshund?

My miniature Dachshund is one year old. I was feeding him Beneful for puppies which he really liked and recently switched to Natural Balance Potato & Duck (it was a sample I received and overall looked like a really healthy food for dogs). My dachsie is normally very active and loves eating but since I switched to Natural Balance he just seems tired and lazy, he also seems hesitant to eat this new food. I've been checking out petfoodanalysis.com for something better but I'm just not sure considering the "good" food I gave him has made him act so differently (and not in a good way). Any suggestions?? I'd like something affordable but obviously want something for him that will be healthy and sustain his energy (the Beneful seemed to but Natural Balance doesn't. Which is strange because I know Beneful's ingredients are not as good for him). Hope someone can help.

Favorite Answer

You are on the right track getting him off Beneful. Beneful is horrible food, full of fillers, preservatives, sugars, and dyes.

Even high-quality dog foods are not "one-size-fits-all", what you want to find is the high-quality dog food that *your dog* does best on.

If you're looking for high-quality food that is reasonably priced, I recommend checking out Canidae or Chicken Soup.

* Canidae - http://www.canidae.com/

* Chicken Soup - http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

When switching foods, do it gradually. Switching foods too quickly can upset your dog's digest system and result in gas and/or loose stools. I do this over about a two week timespan:

25% food A, 75% food B

50% food A, 50% food B

75% food A, 25% food B

100% food A

.

• After a lot of research I did end up going with Canidae. This dog will eat anything so it wasn't hard to switch.

There are many affordable and quality dog foods, make sure you look at the first 5 ingredients, as these are what make up the bulk of the food. The protein should be in the first five! Lamb or chicken are easier for a dog to digest. By products are hard to digest. Soy, wheat and corn are the most common causes of allergies in dogs.

I did a lot of research and found a unique dog food that cold forms the nutrients/vitamins/antioxidants into pellets and then add it to the kibble after the kibble is baked to preserve the potency. It is Blue Buffalo dog food. The company is committed to the health and long life of dogs, has limited suppliers for their ingredients (which means no ingredients from China!) I was using Canidae until I found this dog food about a year ago. My dogs are very healthy, their coats are shiny and one of my dogs who had allergies has none now!

• miaugh

If you look at the ingredients in Beneful for puppies, it contains sugar and sorbitol, both of which raise blood sugar levels in dogs, which could explain his having more energy on Beneful. I'm sure he liked it more than the other food, but it's like giving a kid the choice between an ice cream sundae or some healthy meat with vegetables.

Canidae is a great & nutritious food, and not as expensive as some of the premium grain-free foods.

well, i agree with the above posts and checking the website but i just wanted to point out a possible reason why he seemed more "active" with the beneful:

it contains SUGAR and FOOD COLORING. it will make ANY dog hyperactive. and he probably "enjoyed" it better because it was like eating puppy mcdonalds.

Not every healthy food tastes great to a dog (hey, apples are good for me but i dont like the way they taste...but peaches are also good for me and i love them) so switch among the good brands (gradually) until you find one that HE does well on.

Here is a site that will show you which dog foods are the best and the worst. I suggest that you get any one of the dog foods that are top rated.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Most of grocery store dog food formulas, like IAMS, Pedigree, Science Diet, Purina,and etc contain "meat and bone meal" which has been known to contain dead dogs and cats that were euthanized in animal shelters. Their bodies are picked up and bought by the truck load by "rendering plants" , that also pick up road kill, dead live stock, and etc. They are shredded, and boiled. They skim off the fat on the top of the "soup" and collected it and sell it to pet food companies as "animal fat", the rest of the animals' remains are crushed up, dried and sold to dog and cat food companies as meat and bone meal.

You can read more about it here.

http://earthislandprojects.org/eijournal/fall97/fe...

Here is an article where the owner of a rendering plant talks about it. He says that cremating the dead shelter animals would cause pollution, and that rendering them is good.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m5072/is_12_...

Here is further information on what you shouldn't see in the ingredients list in your dog's food.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badin...

Top rated dog foods like Canidae contain good healthy ingredients.

• Marina

Canidae. It is extremely affordable, and it is an excellent food! Feed as directed and give your dog about 12 wks on the food to determine whether or not it is working for him. Also, make the switch GRADUALLY.

www.dogfoodanalysis

It doesn't have the prices, but it rates the dog food, then you can find the stores that carry the food. I feed one of my dogs Wellness and the other Innova EVO. Both are a bit pricey, but both are absolutely worth every penny, my dogs have never been better.

I feed my dog Nature's Recipe. I don't know if it's the best dog food in the world, but she is doing well on it.

i feed mine james wellbeloved it's totally organic and has no artificial preservatives in it (it starts at 5.95 for 2.5 kg bag)

• Fetch!

Canidae... No matter what stay away from Beneful, it is full of sugar!

www.canidae.com