Should life prisoners be allowed assisted suicide?

If assisted suicide becomes legal (which I feel it should) for those with a terminal illness or vegetative state, then do you think that this could be extended to include prisoners on a life sentence that want to die with dignity?

I personally am against the death sentence and am glad it is no longer in use in the UK, but what if some of these prisoners actually wish to die?

I think it is kinder to help them plan for, set a date and assist them to die when they choose to die, perhaps using humane methods such as nitrous oxide or morphine, or a cocktail of drugs rather than discovering them with slit wrists in their cell. It serves no one to keep them alive against their will, and would at least provide closure to their families and the families of their victims.

Perhaps it is better to allow those who have committed unspeakable crimes to 'fall on their own sword'? If a prisioner chooses to put an end to their own life, there is only so much we can do to stop them. Why not help?

Hari Kari? I think you should read the question again. Assisted suicide is nothing to do with suicide 'bommings'.

• John73
    Favorite Answer

Provided the program can be administered at a lesser cost to incarceration (and it seems likely it can), it seems like a wonderful way to save taxpayer dollars. Having said this, if assisted suicide is not legal in society at large, it cannot be made legal for prisoners serving life sentences, for otherwise, people who wanted assisted suicide badly enough would resort to criminal behavior in order to escape the pain of their existence.

The idea is interesting, and I do favor the legalization of assisted suicide for anyone who wants it. There are too many people on the planet already. If somebody does not want to be here, why not let him or her go?

I believe that depending on the reason for a life sentence should be the decision maker for that. If someone has done horrific things (which if they're serving life ,they probably did) then they should suffer through life thinking about the pain they have caused others. By having assisted suicide they basically still have control over they're life which they did not give the people they hurt the option of.

No.

Suicide, in any form, is not the optimal method.

We might not be able to stop a prisoner from slitting his/her wrists in the cell, but, we do not attempt to control that situation by suggesting for them to go through assisted suicide.

Why give them the pleasure of letting them do what they want? And they keep things that they CAN kill themselves with out of the cells. Such as rope. If they are in prison, on a life sentence then what they did was wrong, and they should be punished. By letting them kill themselves, that is just letting them have what they want.

So therefor I don't think it should be legal.

Interesting point that I've never thought about in regard to the assisted suicide debate. Yes, I'm in total agreement.

yeah dude i think they should be alowwed to. i mean, like u said if they want to die, theres not alot we can do, so by assisted suicide, it can be an easier death then if u walked by there cell and found them hanging by a rope or something, u no?

Their put in prison to pay for their crime, not take the easy way out.

And yeah, sometimes it serves people to keep them alive, but against their will? What about their crime? Isn't that against someones will?

Please.

no why should we help them end there lives when they are the ones that put themself in jail in the first place besides if they get a good enough laywer they can get out without the pinebox

I think they should be allowed, if and when the family of the victim/victims says its ok. They have to forever live with their loss, so they should make the decision.

Harri Karri??? That's what Japanese suicide bommers do... and what terrorists do in suicide bommings!!! Why would we make it legal?