Earthquake, hurricane, or tornado?

What would you rather experience?

Earthquake - 7.0

Hurricane - Category 5

Tornado - Wizard of Oz type

Maybe 'experience' is the wrong word...I didn't necessarily mean it as a good thing, but it's being interpreted that way.

Perhaps....'If you had to go through one of these disasters, which one would you choose!'

Favorite Answer

I was in Japan (Hokkaido) for a 7.0 earthquake. I was out on flat land with few heavy buildings around. It still got my attention. Some people died just 30 miles away. No thanks.

I have been in the vicinity of several tornadoes. They are dangerous and all together too unpredictable. Their randomness and stealth make them the stuff of nightmares. No thanks.

Hurricanes? I live in a hurricane state on the coast. Preparation and a place to which to scuttle on another coast is a great way to see it out. They are slow motion nightmares. I have been through several.

I take the 'Canes and give you six points.

• Donna

To a very mild degree I have experienced all 3, but never destructive ones and was never hurt. I was in one 5.5 or so earthquake in the midwest when I was 17. It was not too much, the house shook and it was scary for all of 10 or 15 seconds and then quit. I remember it because that night I babysat some little kids who were afraid there would be another 'tornado'. There was an fairly strong aftershock that evening, maybe a 3.8 or 4. There have been about a dozen small quakes in my area, some of which I felt but only knew what they were after I heard it on the news, but one hit a year or so ago during the night and I felt it. When I was 5 a small tornado hit some apartments across from me and took off their roof, skipped over our apartment building and damaged a playground behind our house (it was base housing on an air force base). I've lived in the midwest my entire adult life and much of my childhood and have seen a few funnels in the clouds but never one on the ground, including the one when I was 5 Several kids from the base housing were huddled with our Moms in a ground floor laundry room (there was no basement) and we thought the noise was a plane coming into the base too low. A gas station off base was also damaged. Nobody was hurt, fortunately. When I was 7 or 8, I lived on the Gulf coast and a minimal hurricane or tropical storm hit where we lived. There was some flash flooding, a little tree damage and a lot of rain, for days. I don't remember the name of it.

Hurricane. I've lived in the Katrina Zone all my life, so I've been through my share. I can get away from a hurricane in advance if I need to.

I've been too close for comfort with many tornadoes as well, but at least there are obvious warning signs with them that you need to be prepared for the possibility.

Earthquakes, I can do without due to the total lack of notice.

Earthquake

Earthquake. I don't live in a large city, and I'm more at risk with hurricanes. In fact, it was hit by Hurricane Rita (Cat. 5), and my neighborhood is hardly affected except for a few stray tree branches. Earthquakes are not really that bad unless you live in a large city.

Tornado Cause I'd love to meet the wizarad

the tornado. hurricanes can drown people and tear their house down. earthquakes can, well u know what happened in china.

tornado scare me because they destroy everything they touch

and earthquakes cause massive damage, Buildings fall, etc.

so i'm going to say. earthquake. because it takes a while for the damage to come

I have experience Hurricane Katrina and lost everything. I would not want to experience any of them.

• Hurricane.... at least with the warnings they announce, I can pack as many necessities as I can and leave the location before it hits.