Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Do you have a favorite "accomplishment" made by your favorite player?

I think I'd have to say that my favorite accomplishment of Jason Varitek's is catching more no hitters than anyone in MLB history. :)

It can be on the field, off the field...whatever you want.

Favorite Answer

Mine is Carl Yastrzemski being the last player to win the Triple Crown. It is an amazing feat!

although I would not put him on my all time favorite list, I would say it was totally cool being at Jacobs Field for the All Star game in 1997 and Sandy Alomar, Jr. hitting the home run. It was the first time a player from the home team won MVP of the All Star game. And I think another great accomplishment was Charles Nagy being inducted into the Indians Hall of Fame. Nagy was always a gamer and I respected him tremendously for his grit and his fan friendliness.

Derek Jeter's 4 World Series rings.

EDIT: I didn't have time to comment on this earlier (and obviously Varitek is far from being my favorite player), but I am also very impressed by his no-hitter record. Especially considering that the last two were by very young pitchers (Buchholz and Lester), who likely depended a lot on his pitch-calling. It really shows how much this guy knows about baseball. And I hope he stinks it up for the rest of the year =P.

I should probably also add in Don Mattingly, who is my all time favorite player. I'm most proud of the fact that Donnie played for the Yankees his entire career (usually as their best player) during their longest post-season drought. Weird, huh? But, his play, his professionalism and his integrity always made me proud to be a Yankee fan no matter how much they disappointed me during all those years.

Favorite Player: Edgar Martinez

His accomplishment: performing so well for so many years that the commissioner of baseball created a new annual award named after him.

Aramis Ramirez: Currently No. 11 on the Cubs all-time home run list (and counting...) and only the second Cub in history to hit a grand slam in the postseason (hopefully to do it again this year)!

Hank Aaron---how quickly we forget...he hit a line drive in Milwaukee that crashed through the wooden boards in left-center field. Instead of repairing the hole, they drew a bulls-eye around it and that piece of wood is now in the Hall of Fame.

• John H

My favorite player was Will Clark. I think he hit a homerun off Nolan Ryan in his first at bat.

Mike Piazza....most HRs by a Catcher

I dont have a player, but a team.

Red Sox, because they went from having an 86 Yr. drought to having 2 WS Championships in 4 Yrs.

And Big Papi, most home runs as a DH. (Forgot about that one!)

Josh Hamilton.

His story is an amazing one. He has overcame so much and is a GREAT baseball player.

*For those of you who don't know his story and want to read it. Check out the link below.