What is the outlook for people with mental illness?

Can mental illness be prevented?

I have Bipolar II Ultra Rapid-cycling, Borderline Personality Disorder for over 25yrs now. Just looking for your thoughts!

Thanks tons and bunchs!

I am in treatment, have been for over 12yrs. I take my med cocktail each day! It's (meds) the only thing that saves my life from suicide.

I am just curious on your thoughts about what the outlook for people with mental illness.

Sorry...what the outlook for people with mental illness is?

JUNE ~ thank you for your answer...but mental illness IS a chemical imbalance, yes disorders (like PTSD and personality disorders) are from emotional trauma. With mental illness being a chemical imbalance in the brian, medication and treatment is a must! You can't change a chemical imbalance by the use of self help books and going to groups. Although those combined with medicatian the mentally ill just might have a chance at a stable life.

When I came off of my meds back in 2006, I tried to commit suicide 3 times. I need my medication to survive!

The stigma is that we aren't mentally ill and we should just "suck it up"! How do you suck up a chemical imbalance? You can't without medication.

JUNE ~ thank you for your answer...but mental illness IS a chemical imbalance, yes disorders (like PTSD and personality disorders) are from emotional trauma. With mental illness being a chemical imbalance in the brain, medication and treatment is a must! You can't change a chemical imbalance by the use of self help books and going to groups. Although those combined with medicatian the mentally ill just might have a chance at a stable life.

Sorry I tried to correct my type O's and it posted it twice...oh well!

~

~

JUNE~ I was in NO way saying that going to self help groups was a bad thing. I SAID that used in combination with medication and therapy...groups are extremely helpful! You are entitled to you thoughts and veiws on this issue (that is why I asked the question publicly)...but keep in mind that in MY life I feel that you might be wrong. I do NOT believe that eating the right foods (which I do already), and going to groups is going to be the ONLY help I need with MY mental illness! I have come to the realization that I will be on meds the rest of my life.

Let me ask you this...I have epilepsy...would eating the right foods and going to self help groups would help stop my seizures? Mental illness is just like epilepsy...its a disorder of the brain, it needs medication to correct the imbalance. This is my opinion of being mentally ill for over 25yrs.

I am not in no way downing what you say...I even gave you a thumbs up! So please...anger solves nothing!

Favorite Answer

I think depending on what the mental illness is how the outcome would be. Also if your diagnosed properly. The meds are trial and error. Then once you find something that works you must stay one them even if you feel like you don't need them anymore. You also must be able to handle side effects. We all know they can be almost as bad as the reason were taking the meds in the first place. Then you must have good support because without it no med in the world will bring you back. As support I mean Doctors, Therapist, family, friends and people you work with(if your able to work). These people must try and educate them selves if they are not already, in order to be there for you and not get so frustrated when something happens. Then you must decide who knows about your illness and who should never know.

I have not been dx as of yet. That's what I'm working on now.

I have been told by one doctor that I have psychosis, auditory hallucinations, depression and the start of an eating disorder.

But no proper dx yet. Also I'm 46 years old and the voices started 4 years ago. I have tried to kill myself more then once. So the things that I stated above are just a few of the things that I have realized without them I will not get back on my feet and become a person that society reconizes as "normal person". I also believe with out the support of people who have these mental illnesses and the people just starting out have no chance. The more of them that get into the Mental Health Field the better chance we all have. It's like someone who is a recovered drug addict goes into the field of helping others get of drugs, they know what is was like and how hard it was. Instead of someone just looking in and trying to help. Don't get me wrong, education plays a huge roll. We must also educate ourselves and not be afraid to stand up and tell a doctor what we feel. As for the prevention, maybe in a perfect world.

Take care and don't give up!

not every mental illness is caused by a traumatic event or drug use. some people are born with a chemical imbalance.

My husband has BiPolar type 2 and actually with both types your risk of suicide is much higher without getting treatment. My husband suffered almost all his life until abotu the age of 35 when they diagnosed him. He is now on the right meds and he said he doesn't feel like hanging himself all the time which is good. Now mind you meds are not an exact science, but they can get you something that can help. Expecially to calm down the rapid cycling. Also with the personality disorder. If you continue without seeking treatment I say your outlook is not good and will eventually overcome you.

I was diagnosed with BiPolar disorder when I was 9. A couple years ago I started on a combination of about 4 medicines and it's really done wonders for me. I used to be manic all the time. Now, the only way I'm affected by it is my sleeping pattern. If I didn't tell anyone, you wouldn't be able to tell I had a disorder. I would say the solution is just trying to find the right combination of medicines and coping methods.

Isn't tat life?Its always everchanging...just like illness,whatever that may be,heck,we could die anytime.

We live,learn,get sick then die.

Problem is the process:How you plan and go about doing it/living each day,with or without medication.Yes,trying out different drugs or medication or watsoever therapy might help but it all goes down to you yrself in the end.Mind/Soul and body.Peace.

I have PTSD and Borderline Personality Dirorder from sexual abuse and aggression and OCD,

and its only been three months since my dignoses and things are better as my life had bizare events before :(

my medication is okay i'm on 20mg of zyprexa and effxor xr 225mg and since its been three months and my shrink and social worker i see each week and shrink monthly it seems quiet positive i hope in the end things are good.

• you didnt try to kill yourself you just wont help. you didnt know for sure what was going on thats why you tryed (as alot of pepole call it) it a attention getter isnt it? did it work no your still here (happy you are)

they say i have some of the same as you but i dont belive them. congerlations on your engagment hope everything works out for you & your new family :-)

I am not a professional, but in the particular case of substance abuse, this situation can lead to a mental illness diagnosis.

Source(s): Just a bit of information

ill be seeing a doctor in a week so i dont know whats wrong with me yet. i just want to be happy and feel like a normal person. how do you live your life to the fullest anyways?

As long as you fight everyday and keep thinking that your illness isnt who you are just apart of you I. I hope for your sake and mine the out look for us will be bright. We are alone in our own heads, but have thousands that walk in our shoes.

well i have heard of people having seasons of it and it may go away forever or not. well i'm in a pentecostal church and god said i will get healed, not sure when though. strange cause i have been sick for about 11-13 years.