What is the outlook for people with mental illness?

Can mental illness be prevented?

I have Bipolar II Ultra Rapid-cycling, Borderline Personality Disorder for over 25yrs now. Just looking for your thoughts!

Thanks tons and bunchs!
Update: I am in treatment, have been for over 12yrs. I take my med cocktail each day! It's (meds) the only thing that saves my life from suicide.
Update 2: I am just curious on your thoughts about what the outlook for people with mental illness.
Update 3: Sorry...what the outlook for people with mental illness is?
Update 4: JUNE ~ thank you for your answer...but mental illness IS a chemical imbalance, yes disorders (like PTSD and personality disorders) are from emotional trauma. With mental illness being a chemical imbalance in the brian, medication and treatment is a must! You can't change a chemical imbalance by the use of self... show more JUNE ~ thank you for your answer...but mental illness IS a chemical imbalance, yes disorders (like PTSD and personality disorders) are from emotional trauma. With mental illness being a chemical imbalance in the brian, medication and treatment is a must! You can't change a chemical imbalance by the use of self help books and going to groups. Although those combined with medicatian the mentally ill just might have a chance at a stable life.
When I came off of my meds back in 2006, I tried to commit suicide 3 times. I need my medication to survive!
The stigma is that we aren't mentally ill and we should just "suck it up"! How do you suck up a chemical imbalance? You can't without medication.
Update 5: JUNE ~ thank you for your answer...but mental illness IS a chemical imbalance, yes disorders (like PTSD and personality disorders) are from emotional trauma. With mental illness being a chemical imbalance in the brain, medication and treatment is a must! You can't change a chemical imbalance by the use of self... show more JUNE ~ thank you for your answer...but mental illness IS a chemical imbalance, yes disorders (like PTSD and personality disorders) are from emotional trauma. With mental illness being a chemical imbalance in the brain, medication and treatment is a must! You can't change a chemical imbalance by the use of self help books and going to groups. Although those combined with medicatian the mentally ill just might have a chance at a stable life.
Update 6: Sorry I tried to correct my type O's and it posted it twice...oh well!
Update 7: ~ ~ JUNE~ I was in NO way saying that going to self help groups was a bad thing. I SAID that used in combination with medication and therapy...groups are extremely helpful! You are entitled to you thoughts and veiws on this issue (that is why I asked the question publicly)...but keep in mind that in MY life I... show more ~
~

JUNE~ I was in NO way saying that going to self help groups was a bad thing. I SAID that used in combination with medication and therapy...groups are extremely helpful! You are entitled to you thoughts and veiws on this issue (that is why I asked the question publicly)...but keep in mind that in MY life I feel that you might be wrong. I do NOT believe that eating the right foods (which I do already), and going to groups is going to be the ONLY help I need with MY mental illness! I have come to the realization that I will be on meds the rest of my life.
Let me ask you this...I have epilepsy...would eating the right foods and going to self help groups would help stop my seizures? Mental illness is just like epilepsy...its a disorder of the brain, it needs medication to correct the imbalance. This is my opinion of being mentally ill for over 25yrs.
I am not in no way downing what you say...I even gave you a thumbs up! So please...anger solves nothing!