Can clarinet players participate in summer jazz programs?

If so, about what percentage of programs offer this? Just a rough guess.

• CoachT
    Favorite Answer

Your chances improve considerably if you also double sax. There would be very limited parts written for clarinet in most graded jazz ensemble arrangements but good doublers rarely have any trouble getting a seat anywhere.

The best seats (my opinion) are in pit orchestras for musicals. The next best seat is bari sax (doubling bass clarinet) in a big band. ☺ Bass clarinet in the orchestra is a pretty nice seat too. Front with a trio can be a lot of fun... ok, I admit it, I like them all.

If the programs you're looking at are jazz studies and not concentrating on a traditional jazz band/big band format - then what instrument you play isn't as material. There are jazz players on every imaginable instrument. I once attended a clinic by a jazz euphonium player (way cool indeed). There are more than a few examples of great jazz clarinet players even though most people only think of Goodman and Shaw.

Just know that learning to play jazz clarinet is likely to drive your private clarinet teacher nuts - they (like flute teachers) tend to think that the orchestra is the only place for a "real clarinetist". ☺

===

How do you get a clarinet player to swing?

Take her to a playground.

Source(s): professional musician (woodwinds)

I am sure some programs allow a clarinet to join a small jazz band but something like a big stage band is emphasized more on saxaphones, trumpets, trombones and a rhythm section. I would say around 40% of programs would allow you.

• harlie

learn how to play your tool first. Get a approaches e book, i like standards of Excellence the superb, and initiate training. I additionally play clarinet and jazz sax. the undertaking it particularly is the main diverse is your air. you would be able to desire to apply lots extra air on the tenor than on clarinet. you in addition to mght would desire to have your scales and arpeggios memorized on the tenor in 2 octaves. as quickly as you have have been provided that down i might advise getting to grasp dorian and mixolydian scales in all keys. those are good scales to renowned by using fact they the two have a diminished seventh and you'd be able to apply them as a springboard for soloing. The mixolydians are good for significant keys and the dorian for minor. additionally, initiate listening to standard jazz musicians. the sole thank you to earnings improv is to take heed to the greats and take a examine out and imitate what they do. quite seem for sax gamers, yet you may learn from any the biggies. some soloists- John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Charlie Parker, Joshua Redman, Michael Brecker, Wynton Marsailles, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong. with a bit of luck that provides you an excellent initiate!

Although it is uncommon in a Jazz band, at my school we have one clarent player, and If you happen to live in California, Go to band camp, or ask your director to speak with the head of the camp or ask him yourself. (oh by the way I saw you answer some of the performing art questions that i answered)hehe

Source(s): Im in Jazz band (trumpet)

yes, of course! some of the greatest jazz musicians played clarinet!

most definately