Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Do you think Romancin the Stone tried coping Indiana Jones?

I love "Romancing the Stone" because its a HILARIOUS, comedy, romance and action adventure movie. I own all the Indiana Jones movie that are on DVD, but am afraid that if I see them I'll agree that its a rip off.

Favorite Answer

Don't you realize that the Indiana Jones films are "ripoffs", too? They are patterned after the old "cliffhanger" serials that used to be aired before feature films back in the Thirties-Fifties. The Indiana Jones films aren't an original idea.

Diane Thomas, who wrote "Romancing the Stone", actually was working on a script for a sequel to "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when she died in 1986 in an auto accident.

There always have been adventure films, including "King Solomon's Mines", which easily could be an Indy adventure. It's based on the Allan Quatermain novels by H. Rider Haggard. Indy is nothing new, and "Romancing the Stone" is definitely not stealing an idea! Indiana Jones is NOT the first movie adventurer! The earliest Quatermain movie I've found is "Allan Quatermain" (1919)! So, no one can claim Indiana Jones as an original invention~definitely not in films. By the way, if you've seen "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", you saw Quatermain portrayed by Sean Connery.

Also, Indiana Jones is based on a real-life adventurer: explorer/paleontologist Roy Chapman Andrews, who, back when I was a little girl in the Fifties, became my first hero after I read about his expedition to the Gobi Desert. Now, if you compare Jack in "RTS" to Indiana Jones, you'll see they really are nothing alike except for being adventurous men. Jack is quite unscrupulous and definitely an outlaw; it's against his will that he becomes a hero. Face it: He's closer to Han Solo than to Indiana Jones.

This means that you should feel free to watch the Indy Jones films and enjoy them, knowing they are part of a legacy of adventurers, which includes one of the most popular and earliest heroines~Pearl White in "The Perils of Pauline".

I don't think so at all. It's ok to be influenced by a great film like "Raiders of the Lost Ark," but I think "Romancing the Stone" manages to create a unique storyline and mood. By drawing parallels between the main characters' adventure and the romance novels that Joan Wilder writes, the film goes a little deeper and begins to feel more like a romance novel than a movie...which is a far cry from what the Indiana Jones movies were meant to accomplish. Also, I think the two films were aimed at two totally different audiences.

Anyway, even if someone makes a good argument and says it DOES copy Indiana Jones, it's still a well-done rip-off, and I always say: If you're gonna steal an idea, at least get away with it. One way or another, I think this film pulls it off.

• I wouldn't call it copying. RTS was a very funny movie, and I guess you could say that Michael Douglas' character had some Indiana Jones-type qualities about him. If anything, it took the idea of an adventure-comedy-romance movie from Raiders, and changed the emphasis to romance-comedy-adventure.

But by all means, don't let that stop you from seeing Raiders and the rest of the Indiana Jones movies: They were great fun, and you'll still enjoy RTS.

YOU HAVENT SEEN RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK? ARE YOU INSANE thats one of the greatest movies of all time!!! Indy was before the Romancing the Stone. and RTS was more of a lighthearted date movie. It was really good though. you havent said anything about The Jewel of the Nile. lol