Odd invitation wording problem...help!?

How do I address this invite?

My close friend (Jane Doe) and her significant other (John Smith)...

Here are the issues -

1. I have hung out with them both, so I don't want to use "and guest"

2. They don't live together, so technically the invite would go to "Jane Doe"

It seems weird to address it Ms. Jane Doe and Mr. John Smith... like the man's name should go first, but it would be weird for me to address an invite to him, since SHE is my friend...

suggestions?

Favorite Answer

If you don't want to send them separate invitations, I would word it Ms. Jane Doe and Mr. John Smith...it seems perfectly acceptable since she's your friend to place her name in front of his.

You could just send the invitation to Jane Doe, since she is closer to you. Just address it Jane Doe and John Smith.

• Jenny

What happens if on the offchance the two break up before your wedding? Would you still invite John separately? If not, then I would send it to Jane Doe and Guest. You can put Jane and John on the inner envelope if you want, but if you would not invite John without Jane, then he is still 'and guest' until they are either living together, engaged, or married.

If you would invite John regardless of Jane, then two separate invitations would be more appropriate, removing the "and guest" from both invitations.

i ran into the same issues with some of mine. My solution? I addressed the outer enevelope w/ Ms. Jane Doe. And on the inner envelope (if you dont have one then use the response card) I wrote Ms. Jane Doe and Mr. John Smith. The man's name doesnt have to go first. The main guest goes first. Or another solution would be to send two invites. One to her and one to him at their separate houses. Good luck and congrats!! hope this helps

Address it to your friend since they do not live together. Inside slip in a not saying I hope to see you and "John" there! And on the RSVP card they can list how many (1 or 2).

Or you can address it to her and him at her address. Whatever you feel more comfortable with. I did the first suggestion

• Mimi

Jane Doe and John Smith

or

Jane Doe

"And guest" always seems so informal to me. And if you're not close to him, don't bother sending a separate one to him. At all.

• [anon]

One of my friends just had a wedding, she's friends with me and not so much with the guy I'm dating. She addressed the outside envelope to me (the boy and I don't live together, I live with roommates) and put "Ms. B and Mr F." (our full last names) on the inside envelope.

Another friend who just got married, who is friends with both of us equally, just sent us two separate invitations, knowing we'd go together anyway.

I think either one of these works, neither is tacky, and the man's name def. does not have to go first.

good luck!

you can address it to Jane doe and John... i have a friend and her Significant other does not live with her and that's how i address the envelope.

Put both their names on the invite and send it to your friends address.

• Send 2 separate invitations addressed to each of them. Problem solved.