What changed your musical preference?

Everyone has those moments in their life when they hear a new musical sound for the first time, and it impacts (and sometimes completely transforms) what they listen to from then on. I think we typically associate these changes happening during teen years, but I know people who have had "musical revelations" long after.

So, I want to know...

What song or album had a huge impact on your musical preferences? Do you recall what appealed to you? Do you still have the same adoration/respect for it, or have your tastes altered since?

Best Answer

seeing rob zombie at roseland ballroom made me a fan for life.. same with seeing marilyn manson for the first time (prior to which I had no interest in his music but now 10 years later Last Tour on Earth is still a big fave of mine).. neither of these guys put on the giant rock shows they did before, but they are still incredible live and always worth the money..

Not so much a conscious decision as a progressive change. The man who is now my husband introduced me to country music some 25 years ago and I am now converted (but please don't think badly of me). However, I continue to love classical music and some light opera. Less of a change and more of an addition? Spiritually speaking, when we moved home, we moved church and that has involved a change in worship music - a change for the better! I don't object to the 'happy-clappy' singing accompanied by drums, guitars and so on. There is a time and a place for everything, and everyone! But sometimes you just don't feel like being jolly and clapping and swaying to the beat. Sometimes you want to be quiet, and contemplative and sing really meaningful lyrics - old-fashioned hymns played by an organ or grand piano. I'm pleased to say my local Methodist church does both, but it's the hymns by Charles Wesley that really get to me. Oh, and the more senior members really know how to sing in harmony - it's music to the ears and such an uplifting experience (even though I can't sing for toffee)!

To say it like this. A band called Tokio Hotel changed my entire personality and made the biggest impact in my musical preferences. I don't know if this is good or bad. But what I notice is that I've been listening to more alternative/rock bands, also some metal bands, but I still listen to a wide range of music from different genres. Before I really liked to listen to sticky pop songs similar to today's Hanna Montana or Jonas brothers etc. the first band to change my music preference was the all American rejects. It was completely different from what I'd been listening to and I really liked it. Especially the guitar playing and singing. It was just this type of music I'd been waiting for without knowing (yeah it sounds cliche but it's true)

But Tokio Hotel was THE band that changed my music preferences all together. What appealed to me most was the lyrics and the meanings. Then the guitar and voice of the band 0=). It's easier for me to relate to most of the song meanings and I find the music awesome. It just grabs my attention, and still does =)

The album that's had the biggest impact on my musical preferences has to be Cradle of Filth's Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids. I remember getting it on Christmas 1998 while I was in my senior year of high school. Prior to hearing that I didn't really know what real heavy metal was, I was a big fan of Korn, Marilyn Manson, Limp Bizkit, and the like at the time and it just blew me away. That cd opened so many musical avenues for me and remains my favorite album almost a decade later.

I was trying to remember when I started listening to rock music and who 'My First Rock Band' were. I think it may have been Bon Jovi, but I'm really not sure.

Chuck Wicks was the first country artist I ever listened to. I fell in love with his music straight away. I've never considered myself to be a huge country fan but if I hadn't discovered Chuck Wicks, I never would have discovered many other great country artists, so I guess he's had a rather large impact on my musical tastes.

for me it was Metallica - Master of Puppets (some other dude already picked this one) the funny thing for me is a couple of asian guys who i was friends with got me into it in about 95' and before that the last album I had bought was TLC - Crazy Sexy Cool, and since then they got into J-Pop and Trance music, last time I spoke to em' I think they were getting back into rock music, but for me I never stopped liking Heavy Metal after that first listen, my favorite band of the last 8 years right now is Opeth, the best dang band in the world, and if anyone disagrees... they're WRONG! JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!

• Bret J

I started playing guitar when I was about 10 and did that for a few years. Then i dropped it and started listening to hip-hop/rap. But then I saw a couple local bands with people I knew perform and I decided to pick up guitar again. And with it my old taste in music.

i'd have to say Modest Mouse's Good News for peolple who like bad news album changed my musical preference. I like indie/alternative rock now as opposed to that mainstream bulls*it on the radio. I now listen to a lot of classic rock as well. I guess overall I would have to attribute my changing musical taste to smoking pot and going to college. Those were big eye openers as well.

I was strictly rap until I heard Master of Puppets by Metallica.

Now I'm a metalhead for life \m/

I have been a rocker from day one. I sometimes stray but always end up back with rock music.