Can a landlord let anyone enter your apartment without notice or consent?

Last Friday our landlord let someone into our apartment to fix a hole they'd left in our ceiling (for 2 months, I might add!). There was no notice, no consent, they didn't even bother to call and tell us. We found out when we got home Friday afternoon and saw they'd moved our things out of the way and... show more Last Friday our landlord let someone into our apartment to fix a hole they'd left in our ceiling (for 2 months, I might add!). There was no notice, no consent, they didn't even bother to call and tell us. We found out when we got home Friday afternoon and saw they'd moved our things out of the way and put up a peice of wood and some plaster.

Now I -did- get a call from them on Friday, but the voicemail states that they weren't going to be doing anything until today and tomorrow.

Anyone have opinions on what can be done about this, if anything? We're very upset, how can someone just enter your home any time they wanted? We're fairly certain they've done it once before. A lock we -always- lock on the way out was unlocked one day when we came home. It's a tricky lock, and the door has to be pulled to get it to work, so they might not have known that.

We like this apartment and it's location. But we are very displeased with our landlord's way of handling things.
Update: The lease -does- state we should be notified 24 hours in advance of anyone entering the apartment.
Update 2: No, we were not in the apartment. It was empty. We were both at work when this happened.
Update 3: However, just to even the playing field, it -was- for a repair. There was a leak in our ceiling they'd fixed two months ago, and are just now getting around to fixing the hole they'd left afterwards.
23 answers 23