I have been gardening all morning?

Every year I seem to get stiffer and stiffer after a

morning gardening. I love gardening so what am I to do.

I employ a gardener to do the heavy work but I love planting

the flowers - its killing me, am I a silly old fool to carry on?

Any reccomendations other than paracetamol and a hot bath

to make it easier.

Favorite Answer

Ah, but I feel for you. My garden is my delight in the warm

months, but my whole body sings to me if I try to do what

I'd like in it.

I get up early morning, stretch my body out, and have a

cuppa while walking about the garden. I can plan what

needs doing the most that way, so I can do as much of

that until it's time to quit.

We have raised beds, and the being able to sit on the

edge of the bed while working helps me a lot.

I take frequent breaks and walk around, talk to the

runner-ducks and dogs, put my feet in the River, or

have a bit of apple or banana. I stretch while I do this,

and it gives me a bit more time before I have to stop.

When it's really hot, a good dip in the River helps to

cool and soothe those muscles and make a little

more garden time available.

I promise myself a good stretch-out flat when I'm

done, and do that too. I try to not take too much of

the nonaspirin type stuff; hard on the belly. Soothing

tea and positive thought is the best I've found.

Good luck and green thoughts!

Source(s): Gardening with asthma and arthritis, but lots of verve and happiness!

Like many of us, you need to not try to do as much. I know if I go out to do yard work as I did over the weekend, it took aspirin combined with a Lortab in order for me to be able to function. It does get very frutstrating. Just a suggestion, but perhaps Yoga may help in the mornings by stretching, first which is a good idea before any exercise, whether it be at a gym or in the garden. You might try to find a Yoga dvd and give it a try. :)

I was going to say bring you and the work to the same level. Pots or raised beds, or some way to be comfy on the ground.

I wonder if popping a couple of aspirin before starting would be a good idea? You might ask a medical person what they think.

Streches beforehand, and taking lots of breaks where you are in different positions from the ones bother you, are also good ideas.

Between all of them, you should be able to garden away as much as you want, or at least, nearly as much.

(My mom had me do some planting for her a few years ago, promising to make whatever I wanted for dinner. The nuns who lived downstairs walked by and one said "You'll get your reward in heaven!" to which I replied "I'm getting my reward in pot roast!" -- just wanted to share that. Mom has moved, and does most of her planting in pots now.)

No, you are NOT silly!

Just take all of the advices you're getting, and use as many of them as make sense.

• SB

Maybe it's time to let the gardener do most of the in-ground planting. Perhaps doing some container gardening (flowers in pots) would be easier to do, as one can sit and have the pot at a level that is not uncomfortable for you (instead of kneeling or bending to reach the ground). Pots of flowers or herbs scattered around a porch or deck are lovely, and they give satisfaction to those of us who are getting beyond the regular gardening routines.

• Donna

I enjoy gardening too and have mostly perennials now so it makes it a little easier. It's the weeding that gets me in the back and my legs. I would like to be in my garden today, but it is too cold. I can't believe it. The lilacs are in full bloom and some areas just north of Toronto, got snow!

I like aspercreme to rub on my back when it hurts. It takes the edge off so I can fall asleep at night.

I think you've got the answer. Do a bit. Sit back and admire. Do a bit more. Hire out what you can afford or do not enjoy.

I am an avid gardener too but alas only work about 5 minutes before I break for 15.

• Gladys

Oh yes, I have been down that road. I have a garden stool that I use, but even using that it gets more difficult. This past month we put our garden in and I was more a supervisor than a participant. The grandkids came over and I just pointed and said what needed to be done!

It happens..cant help you with a cure but if you just mark out about a yard of garden....finish that then rest up until you are ready for the next bit..then mark another yard and so on. Trouble is that this time of year everything , including weeds, comes up all at once and we still think our body can cope ..but as you have found...it cant.

I don't know exactly what your limitations are but will you consider an elevated garden. It would require a retaining wall of some sort but you could either work sitting in a chair or standing depending on the elevation.

My dear, keep on gardening if you enjoy it...you might want to try a few warm up stretching exercises before you start gardening..to help loosen up stiff muscles and joints..even younger people that are physically very active and in good shape suffer aches, pains and stiffness if they don't warm up a little at first..stay as active as you can...if you don't ,you might just 'freeze up" completely..lol..happy gardening!