Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Once an Empire falls, does it's religion also?

This is just a theory, bare with me...

When the Egyptians were in charge, it's gods and influence were BIG deals, and then the Greeks took over, and then the Romans. As soon as they fell we all forgot about them.

You know the British Empire was pretty christian for a long time, and if you look at the USA as one of the remaining outposts (albeit an Empire of it's own now) when the empire fell the UK went to being mostly atheist.

So now China and India are becoming the major world powers, and the US heading for a depression, do you believe the influence of atheism, or some of the eastern religions will increase at christianities expense?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Bare with you? Now you're the one who's getting saucy, sweetpea.

OK. Thinking out loud. Egypt, highly 'competitive' religious environment, even within Egyptian culture, let alone with its neighbours. All deities very closely tied with culture, although variants common.

Rome was a massive cultural Hoover. First they adopted much of Greek culture wholecloth, including its Pantheon. Then some bright spark realized how fabulous Christianity was as a weapon of mass subjugation. Jesus will love you for your suffering now was a far more politically useful doctrine than Zeus/Jupiter will hurl a lightning bolt at you if you rise up against us.

Interesting observation about the shift to atheism, post colonial. That period had so much change, including industrialization, that I'm not sure we can relate cause and effect so simply. More like LOTS of things were happening and they all affected each other and they way people saw themselves in the world.

China's empire continues. In the west, we don't recognize it as such because it's geographically contiguous. But the non-Han folk at the edges (like the Islamic region in the NW corner, where they speak a very different Turkic language) see it as occupation.

So you're posing that Christianity will go into some terminal decline as it's supporting economic powers lose influence? That makes a lot of sense, except that the former colonies (Africa, South America, parts of Asia) include the strongest remaining bastions of Christianity.

Can the continuing economic colonization and exploitation of Africa and So America's abundant resources maintain the dominance of Christianity? Put like that, it doesn't seem likely. I'm sure we can find other wording though. :-)

Must think about this more.....

What's changed from the time of Egypt et al is the disjunction of religion from country/'ethnic' group identity. I think that would have be inconceivable pre-Rome. When Rome fell, it was under its own behemoth weight, not because of a conquering power with a foreign culture. In fact it's easily argued that Rome never fell culturally.

Source(s): Oh, Islam certainly didn't decline after the fall of the relatively low-key (religiously) Ottoman Empire. The religion and culture didn't change, aside from consolidating the Empire's resident Jews into a small sliver of land, just the political structure. There's probably a complicated computer-generated economic model that could explain all this. :-) Know any academic economists?
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Man you got that all upside down, Rome never excepted Christianity, "Christians" excepted pagan Greek-Roman religion then Constantine excepted this form of religion as it's state religion, and at the end of a sword. Christians don't behead people for not excepting Christ? The Roman empire collapsed under it's own corruption, when family life became fragmented , when people no longer had any concept of right from wrong, it collapsed, yeaaaa just like today. The Roman Empire still went on to collapse , excepting an apostate form of Christianity did not save the empire. The world is a much better place without those who kill in the name of the Lord. Thank goodness Christendom has now become an irrelevance ? *** sh chap. 11 pp. 273-274 par. 23 Apostasy—The Way to God Blocked *** As British broadcaster Malcolm Muggeridge wrote in his book The End of Christendom: “Christendom began with the Emperor Constantine.” However, he also made the perceptive comment: “You might even say that Christ himself abolished Christendom before it began by stating that his kingdom was not of this world—one of the most far reaching and important of all his statements.” And one most widely ignored by Christendom’s religious and political rulers.—John 18:36.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As far as I can tell, it seems you have it exactly backwards:

I don't know enough about ancient Egypt to include it in the list, but here are a few empires in the mediterranean region and the middle east:

Greece's hegemony fell, but the gods stuck around as Roman gods.

Rome switched to Christianity, then a while later the empire fell, but Christianity stuck around.

The original caliphate, and then the Ottoman empire, fell, but Islam is still here.

You might also notice that after the fall of Israel & Judea (which were admittedly minor powers) the national religion of the Jewish people was not forgotten.

• 1 decade ago

The religion of the Roman Empire carried on throughout the Holy Roman Empire, The Holy Roman Empire of The German Nation (no Rome included in that one) The British Empire, The Russian Empire and carries on in the USA today.

It is still powerfully remnant in all of Europe, a lot of Africa and Asia too.

The Roman Empire lives on through the Christian religion that it created to subdue and control it`s population back in the early 4th century.

I really cannot imagine those `noble` families letting the religion die as it has given them such a vast amount of control and an immeasurable amount of wealth and influence for at least 1600 years.

Source(s): Who knows how long that `divine` line of Kings has ruled for ?
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Roman Catholicism began its days as the state religion of the Roman Empire.

The Roman Empire is long gone. There are more Roman Catholics in the world than ever. The Church is a political and financial power exceeding all but a few countries.

Doesn't look fallen over to me.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This seems to be the case.

Once an empire falls, the religion falls with it - going down as mythology. Then, the next empire will have their religion take over, and it continues to there. Rise and fall.

I do believe that Christianity will soon fall, why? People are being more lazy with it in the first place! There are Christians who have never read the Bible, and who as an Atheist, I can have more knowledge on their religion than they do.

• 1 decade ago

Well, the big flaw here is that the Roman gods fell BEFORE the empire fell, and conversely Christianity suvived and thrived througout Europe despite the fall of Rome.

• 1 decade ago

The Romans were Christians at the time of the fall of the Roman Empire.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

not according to the Ottoman's

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

let's hope so

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.