Does anyone think Amway is a cult?

My wife is starting to get into Amway and I have just wondered since it seems kinda weird to me.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Yes! It is helpful to fully understand the meaning of the word cult to know why.

cult Definition

cult (kult)

noun

1. a system of religious worship or ritual

2. a quasi-religious group, often living in a colony, with a charismatic leader who indoctrinates members with unorthodox or extremist views, practices, or beliefs

1. devoted attachment to, or extravagant admiration for, a person, principle, or lifestyle, esp. when regarded as a fad i.e. the cult of nudism

2. the object of such attachment

3. a group of followers; sect

Is Amway a religion? Yes it is.

re·li·gion (ri lij′ən)

noun

* expression of such a belief in conduct and ritual

* any object of conscientious regard and pursuit

Amway and many other Network Marketing/ MLM companies teach you to separate from outsiders who are negative towards your efforts. They teach you that those who do not agree with your business choice, are simply "close minded."

There are many other examples of why many would call Amway a cult. You can find some great examples at

http://www.angelfire.com/or/amwaydreamers/index2.h...

Most importantly do not show animosity towards your wife. Continue to show love and support. Concern is great. It is good to take the time to discuss concern. Do not openly attack her and what she is doing. Most people in a traditional network marketing or mlm business are used to attack and are always on the defensive. If you can have a conversation without attack and express concern without control, your efforts will not go unnoticed.

I hope this has been helpful.

• 3 years ago

Amway Cult

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does anyone think Amway is a cult?

My wife is starting to get into Amway and I have just wondered since it seems kinda weird to me.

Source(s): amway cult: https://tr.im/06bbz
    • Dennis2 years agoReport

Now that cult was defined, examine it. Instead of focusing on negative connotation, try something new - paint it in a POSATIVE light. A group devoted and attached to something.. the outcome, sir is for your well being. Sign me up for anything promoting such an endeavor

• 5 years ago

I lost my sister to Amway years ago, now she cries every time i buy a product not from amway, she spends every waking moment when not at work with amway, she missed out on family functions and has a group of followers now.

"Now she cries every time I buy products not from her "
      Excuse me for saying, but if she's starting a company selling similar products, no wonder she feel slighted you don't support her efforts. Wal-Mart has followers too -- your one of them. Try helping your family's goals

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, in a sense. The truth is far greater then Amway itself. The fact is that the industry of network marketing/mlm is often considered to be a cult. The reason is because of the traditional style of operation. Many companies teach to push friends and family to participate in your business. I do network marketing myself. I do not use traditional business building techniques taught in the industry. I prefer to target market. My friends and family have remained as such. I have a link that in my profile page here that can shed some light on why so many have a negative view towards the industry. I would be happy to share more on this subject as well.

Best Regards!

• 1 decade ago

Though I don't know if Amway is a cult, I can say that I believe anything that takes people over could be considered a cult. As somepeople said, you don't make money selling amway.

You don't SELL Amway, you aren't even really SELLING products. The products are meant to be tangible things you can use and buy anyway, that are part of your income. If I need a product I can buy that is directly correlated to my endeavor of survival (making money) I'd buy it from myself,not walmrt

• 1 decade ago

Yes.

My hubby and I had the unfortunate luck to meet a couple that was in to Amway. They took us out to dinner under guise that we were friends and going to hang out and talk.

Then, after we were seated and place our dinner orders, they got into the Amway crap. They pretty much said they would get rich off of it and retire in like 7 years or something. They were new into it at that time. It did feel like they were brainwashed. It's just another Multi-level marketing scam - and we were smart enough to know better. We said, no, no, no and laughed at them.

A couple years later they had financial difficulties and had to move in with his parents. I honestly don't know where they are now.

Many things strike me as WRONG here. For one. You laughed at a couple who BOUGHT YOU DINNER. You laughed at the expense they took on your behalf, and you laughed at their endeavors. Lastly, who has not had financial difficulties times. We're human. Try acting like a compassionate one.

• 1 decade ago

I don't know if it's a cult or not, but Amway reps are some of the pushiest salespeople I have ever met!

As opposed to what? Car salesmen who want you to spend more than something is worth? How about your Mary K personell implying you need more on your face to be beautiful. Let's not forget the MILIONS of adds you see everyday on television. Pushy? I think your examining their efforts incorrectly

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no one makes any money in it - you have to spend too many hrs in meeting and trying to "sell the dream" and the products are overpriced to pay the tiny commissions

"No one" is quite the overstatement. May I ask what you do for a living, and how many hours you have put into it to be where you are Now? How much farther are you towards your dream home, car, or life? May I be a risk taker, and gamble on an answer? Your stagnantly living the same life as yrs ago

• 5 years ago

No. We re freaking salesmen, it s not a cult.

Andrew, if Webster defines cult in these terms, and religion in these terms, that is fine. Examine these definitions to describe everything else in life. Smokers, nonsmokers, religious advocates, employees of companies. It's cool dude. This whole world is similarly defined. Ain't no skin off my bk

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.