Does the Bible specify who let Mary and Joseph stay in the stable?

Does the Bible specifically mention who lent Mary and Joseph the stable the night Jesus was born?

If so, who is it?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Direct answer to your question: No.

The Innkeeper, no name, is what is commonly ASSUMED, but my electronic Bible search software reveals only one occurance of the word innkeeper in the New Testament:

Luk 10:35 And going forth on the morrow, taking out two denarii, he gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, Care for him, and whatever more you spend, on my return I will repay to you.

I am searching ASV, CEV, GNB, GW, HCSB, ISV, KJV, LITV, MKJV, NLT, RV Bibles.

Here is the only reference we get in regard to Mary and Joseph and that manger/stable:

Luk 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

I think there is very interesting commentary on this scripture:

Luk 2:7 -

Laid him in a manger - Wetstein has shown, from a multitude of instances, that φατνη means not merely the manger, but the whole stable, and this I think is its proper meaning in this place. The Latins use praesepe, a manger, in the same sense. So Virgil, Aen. vii. p. 275.

Stabant ter centum nitidi in praesepibus altis

“Three hundred sleek horses stood in lofty stables.”

Many have thought that this was a full proof of the meanness and poverty of the holy family, that they were obliged to take up their lodging in a stable; but such people overlook the reason given by the inspired penman, because there was no room for them in the inn. As multitudes were going now to be enrolled, all the lodgings in the inn had been occupied before Joseph and Mary arrived. An honest man who had worked diligently at his business, under the peculiar blessing of God, as Joseph undoubtedly had, could not have been so destitute of money as not to be able to procure himself and wife a comfortable lodging for a night; and, had he been so ill fitted for the journey as some unwarrantably imagine, we may take it for granted he would not have brought his wife with him, who was in such a state as not to be exposed to any inconveniences of this kind without imminent danger.

Perhaps our commonly held belief of this scene at a Christmas play is an understatement.

Source(s): E-sword.net and Adam Clarke's Notes on the Bible
  • 5 years ago

A Tax was Decreed by Ceasar Augustus...Luke Chapters 2-3 Books: The First Christmas by Frank O. Munsen Is That Really In the Bible By Dr Charles F. Potter The Bible As History by Werner Keller...Merry Christmas

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It has been historically shown that Jesus was not born in a stable. Most of the worlds prominent scholars would agree that the story most christians actually believe in fact is not actually true. There is quite a lot of information on the internet about this.

Source(s): www.christiananswers.net/christmas/mythsaboutchristmas.html
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The bible doesn't mention a stable, that's just an invented tradition.

The bible does say, however, that the wise men came to the "house" where Jesus lay.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The inkeeper. He didn't have rooms at the Inn so he offered the stable.

• alana
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

An innkeeper.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.