Do any master chefs have ideas for slow cookers - besides beef stew and chili?

Favorite Answer

Here are a few E-Z recipes you might want to try. Good Luck & enjoy.

COLA CHICKEN

(And more variations of recipe)

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

1 cup catsup

1 12oz. can cola (pepsi, coke, etc.)

Put chicken in a non-stick pan.

Mix together catsup and cola, pour over chicken.

Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook 45 minutes.

(turning chicken a few times, while cooking...to prevent from sticking to pan)

Uncover, turn up the heat and continue to cook until the sauce

becomes thick and adheres to the chicken.

It turns into the most incredible BBQ sauce. Yummmm!

You can double the recipe and use more pieces of

chicken....wings...would be ideal...add some hot sauce....presto "Hot Wings"!

I have used Ribs, just as good.

I tried this recipe with 'meatballs'....was equally

as good...served over rice.

I found another variation.....omit the catsup and add a small jar of Salsa (any variety).

I have tried using Salsa (omitting the catsup....not).

You'd think a recipe with only '3' ingredients couldn't be messed up....wouldn't you??

Well...while I was preparing to fix the 'Cola Chicken' recipe

using Salsa.....I was also trying to carry on a conversation with my

husband...(just proves...I can't do two things at once)....mixed Salsa & Catsup (before I realized I was supposed to leave out the catsup) & Cola........still turned out really tasty (to me)...might be a little sweeter than some of you like.

I fixed chicken wings, (using the above recipe)

but...I added the spices from a MILD (I don't care for "HOT") Buffalo Wings packet...(the kind you get to bake in the oven).....I thought it was really good.....(but you/I can't find a 'bad' way to fix chicken).

Finally....!! I fixed the 'SALSA' chicken......that's good , too.

Another (bright)idea.....I thought of trying......replace the

catsup with a bottle of Shrimp Cocktail Sauce...and add a bag of (pop corn) shrimp.....!

Fixed the shrimp with cocktail sauce......eh...wasn't all that

great...was OK...probably won't be fixing it again.

Also tried beef stew cuts......that was pretty good.....I can see

myself making this again.

Served both over rice.....think the stew cuts would have been just as

good over noodles.

Try little cocktail wieners/sausages…for appetizers.

Mushroom Chicken

4 boneless/skinless chicken breast (or any pieces you like)

1 can cream of mushroom soup.

1 can water

Place chicken in crock pot (or sauce pan for stove top cooking)

mix soup & 1 can of water together

pour over chicken

cook on medium heat until boiling then reduce heat and cook until chicken is really tender & falling apart.

Serve over noodles or rice or dressing....or???

"Canned Soup".

(My Way!)

Whatever cans of veggies I have, that I like, in cabinet it goes in the pot.....along with all the juices in the cans.

Cook on stove top or Crock pot.

Enjoy!

Canned:

corn

peas

carrots

gr.beans (any variety)

lima beans

wax beans

tomato (any variety)

potatoes (whole or sliced...or both whatever you like)

You get the idea....lol.

Also add a package of shredded cabbage (cole slaw mix).

You can even add a package of onion soup mix.

If it gets to dry and needs more liquids....add tomato juice...V-8...etc.

(I’ve not made this one yet)

EASY BEEF STROGANOFF

Ingredients:

3/4 lb lean ground beef

1 jar Heinz HomeStyle Savory Beef Gravy (12 oz Jar)

1 can mushrooms, drained (7 oz can)

1/2 cup sour cream

4-6 cups hot cooked noodles

salt & pepper, to taste

Instructions:

In a medium skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat until browned and thoroughly cooked. Carefully drain liquids and return to stovetop. Stir in Gravy and mushrooms, and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, until thoroughly combined. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately over hot noodles.

Preparation Time: 1-15 minutes

Cook Time: 25+ minutes

"Corny Beanie Weenies."

(from a country preacher in Mississippi…wife & 2 teenage sons)

Mix one can of good baked beans

We use a good sized can of beans (14-16 ounces, I think) and

get a kind that we like (maybe with brown sugar, onion, and bacon).

There are several kinds of good baked beans.

and a package of Oscar Meier Weiners (all sliced up).

with a can of whole kernel corn (drained)

Any way, heat up these three ingredients, and serve with brown bread

(maybe toasted ?) and a glass of milk.

It doesn't get any easier than this, and is suprisingly good!

P.S…..Might put ingredients in a casserole dish and top with corn muffin mix.

Substitute a pound of cooked ground beef……rename to…??

POT ROAST

Your choice of beef (to fit crock-pot)

1 pkg. dry Ranch dressing mix

1 pkg. dry Italian dressing mix

1 pkg. dry Brown Gravy mix

1 cup water

Put beef in pot.

Mix together all the dry mixes….then add water …pour over meat and cover & cook on high 4-6 hours.

Until meat is tender.

The first time I mad it I didn’t have the Italian Dressing mix….so I added a pkg. of Onion Soup Mix….I have to say I liked that better.

If you use more water you might want to add more Brown Gravy mix….to make a thicker sauce. Was gonna add

potatoes and carrots…but never got around to it.

OLD SETTLER’S BEANS

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 lb. ground beef1/2 lb. bacon

1 chopped onion

Brown in skillet and drain excess grease.

ADD:

16 oz. can Red Kidney Beans (drained)

24 oz. can Pork & Beans (drained)

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

1/4 cup Catsup

2 TBLS. Molasses

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

Mix Thoroughly !

Cook in a crock pot until...hot...hot...hot!

CHICKEN FAJITA DIP

MIX TOGETHER THOROUGHLY:

1 (10 3/4oz.) can Cream of Chicken Soup

1/2 cup sour cream

3/4 cup salsa

2 cups colby/jack shredded cheese

Hint:

Can be served cold or warm.

Can be doubled, tripled....etc.

Excellent for a large crowd

I recently got a new slow cooker and only one recipe has been a hit so far - barbecue meatloaf. My husband and 4 year old daughter loved it! I'm starting to wonder if anything tastes all that great in a slow cooker. I don't know. It's really convenient and easy to use, but so far none of the recipes have been all that great.

I went to the library and checked out several books on slow cooking. I try to get cookbooks that have a lot of pictures in them. If I find a good recipe, I'll make a copy of it so I don't lose it forever when I have to return the book. There are a lot of recipes out there. My challenge is finding the ones that are good.

Hope this helps.

• lou

bourbon-mango pulled pork

INGREDIENTS

2 mangos

1 (4 pound) pork shoulder roast

15 g ground black pepper

5 g kosher salt

0.8 g chipotle chile powder

60 ml balsamic vinegar

475 ml water

0.8 g chipotle chile powder

10 ml honey

45 ml bourbon whiskey

672 (12 ounce) bottles barbeque sauce

DIRECTIONS

Peel the mangos and remove the pits. Place the pits into a slow cooker, then roughly chop the mango and set aside. Place the pork shoulder into the slow cooker, and season with the black pepper, kosher salt, and 1 teaspoon chipotle powder; pour in the balsamic vinegar and water.

Cover, and cook on Low 5 to 8 hours until the meat is very tender. Once done, drain the pork, discarding the cooking liquid and mango pits, and shred with two forks.

While the pork is cooking, puree the chopped mango in a blender until smooth, then pour into a saucepan along with the honey, 1 teaspoon chipotle powder, and whiskey. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring frequently until the mango has reduced and darkened slightly, about 10 minutes. Stir in the barbeque sauce, and remove from the heat.

Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker, and stir in the mango barbeque sauce. Cover, and cook on High 1 to 2 hours until the pork absorbs the barbeque sauce

I roast chicken in mine - I take the skin off first, as it's very fatty and is only good (imho) when ovenroasted so it goes crispy. I then rub the entire bird with paprika, salt and pepper, stuff a few garlic cloves inside it, and sometimes into slits in the meaty parts, slice an onion into quarters and use these to make a rack so the bird isn't sitting in its own juices. Spray it with a little chilli olive oil, bung the lid on and leave it on low all day, or on high for 4 hours.

I always make chicken stock with the carcass - add a carrot, a couple of stick of celery, a halved onion, a couple of bouquet garnis, and fill the cooker to the brim with water, then cover and leave it overnight (or even until the next evening) on low. Strain the stock through a colander and leave in the fridge for 24 hours until all the fat has congealed on top - skim this off and discard it, and freeze the stock in icecube trays for easy storage.

I make soup every weekend as well, to bring to work for lunch - dice up veg (eg. onions, garlic, carrots, celery, peas, whatever) and bung them all in with a couple of cans of chopped tomatoes, some of the aforementioned stock and whatever herbs I feel like that week, usually a big dollop of yoghurt too to make it a bit creamier, and leave for a few hours or overnight on low, then blend with a stick blender and freeze in individual portions.

Pork loin is great done in the slow cooker - I usually marinade it overnight, eg. in ginger ale, soy sauce, honey, wine, garlic, a little cayenne, then bung the whole lot, marinade and all, in the slow cooker and cook on low all day.

Brisket or round roast is a little more hassle as I prefer to brown it first, but still good - I usually add red wine, garlic, mustard, onions, Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, thyme, and a little tomato paste.

Hope this gets you started, good luck!

Roast beef

Pork tenderloin

Sausage & sauerkraut

Ribs

Meatballs

Any kind of stew or soup would do well in a slow cooker. The slow cooking process draws out the juices in whatever food you put in it, especially veggies... so it is great for enhancing flavors, and well-suited for tougher cuts of meat.

Homemade chile verde is incredibly easy and yummy. Portions are dependent upon the size of your crockpot.

For my baby crockpot, I would use:

.75 lb pork, chopped (since my portions were small I bought the tenderloins as they were already the cleanest piece of pork in terms of fat and no bones involved)

can roasted green chiles

can tomatillo sauce (can be found in the mexican food section)

1/4 to 1/2 an onion, diced

1 potato, diced

You could add more veggies if you want. I've used zucchini and carrots in the past; make sure to add the zuchinni last as it will get icky-mushy if cooked too long.

SLOW COOKER SPLIT PEA SOUP WITH CHORIZO

1 pound green split peas

10 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

1/2 pound diced chorizo or andouille sausage

1 1/2 cups diced carrot

1 cup diced shallot

1 cup diced celery

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 bay leaves

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaves and season with salt and black pepper before serving.

I'm not a master chef by any means, but the following taste great in a slow cooker with Barbeque sauce: pulled pork, shredded chicken, and sliced kielbasa (or hot dogs if you don't like polish sausage).

I also heard of a dip you can make with sliced pepperoni, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese, mix all those together and dip toasted garlic italian bread.

• Helga

I am not a master chef but I use my slow cooker all the time. I make Osso Bucco, braised pork chops, pulled pork, bbq, cakes, dips and all kinds of different stuff. Instead of giving you a bunch of recipies, try this website, I use it all the time and it gives a great variety .

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpid...

I love my crockpot/slow cooker - it is great for all year round use since it does not make the house hot and it is ready for me when I come home from work.

I also make rice pudding with 2 oz of pudding rice, 2oz of sugar and 1 pint of milk. Just heat the milk in a pan to dissolve the sugar in it, once this is done add the rice and throw in the slow cooker for 4 hours.

Poached pears in red wine is another pudding you could make in your slow cooker.

Chicken Casserole

Pork Casserole

Lamb Shanks

Shoulder Chops.

Ox Tails.

Any meats that require long slow cooking.