I Need Help With My Research Idea!!?

I want to do a research paper or project on Gamma Ray Burst using data gathered by the BATSE satellite, i got it off of their website. However, i need an idea of what to research or do as a project, and eventually i would like to enter the ISEF international science and engineering fair, and if you go to the ISEF website you can see some of the projects and see how complicated they are, I want mine to be good too. ANy ideas of what I could do?

Best Answer

Well im not sure if you are directly working with the gamma rays or planning to do tests with them (if so, sorry to inform you but src will not approve your project) but what i got from it is that you are using just the data you gathered, and i don't entirely understand where you are planning to go with the project (not my area of expertise) but the best thing you can do is to find a local university and look at there professors that have a deep background in astronomical radiation. When i was in Indianapolis for isef 2006 they were telling some fun facts and 98% of the finalists there had a Mentor (professor, engineer, or Ph.D holder). If you aspire to go to ISEF a mentor is a must.

Source(s): Winner of Intel Foundation Young Scientist Award (50k scholarship) in ISEF 2006 for work with encapsulated-pathogens

Unfortunately, most of the points awarded at science fairs are given for original hypotheses. So if I, or anyone else, provides your hypothesis, then you have already sacrificed having a good project.

Having read what you can understand about the BATSE satellite, ask yourself this question: "What do I not know about gamma ray bursts that I would like to know?" Then ask: "How would data from the BATSE satellite answer my question?" Of the two, the first is the more important question, and it is one only you can answer.

Good luck with YOUR project!

Research on how the satellite works and how it gathers the information.