How do you get rid of someone who has become a "cling on"?

I met this girl at the last neighborhood where I lived. She seemed very nice. Since then she has become almost obsessed with wanting to be my friend. She calls all the time and shows up at my house sometimes unannounced and stays for hours. We have nothing at all in common. She is several years younger than me, we have different values and her husband is scary. I can see where she tries to use her currently bad situation with her husband to manipulate me and I honestly see that her next step is to show up at my door with her son and ask me to live here. It may sound bad, but I just don't want to be her friend. How do I terminate the friendship without hurting her or worse?

Favorite Answer

I am curious - how is her husband "scary" ?

Perhaps he is abusive and she is desperate to get away from him. Maybe by coming over to your house, it is the only escape she has. However, this can be bad in the longrun incase something goes down between them and you definately do not want to get in the middle. i would start coming up with activities for her to do. Give her a brochure on a book club you heard of or a volleyball team she can join and she can make friends and also escape her husband

well if you don't tell her how you really feel about her as a friend then that will be the worse hurt you could do to her so just be open and honest with her the next time she comes over. tell her she is intruding in your space and you like her as a person but not as a best friend and you think its rude of her to just show up without calling and asking first. and also you don't want to get mixed up in her relationship with her and her husband. tell her you are getting bad vibes and you would like to end the friendship. good luck

Do not answer her calls, do not answer the door when she comes over. Or answer both and just tell her you are busy with your best girlfriend, and you really must run. She will slowly get it that you already have a best friend, and maybe you can just introduce her to someone else that better fits her needs for a friend.

wow. just ignore her