Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

What is a Kohai?

It' s a japanese word I heard from a show and I don't know what it means.I'm getting really confused so please answer!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • GD173
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

A "kouhai" is your junior at work, school, or a group. Usually they belong to the same organization as you but they entered the organization after you. A "kouhai" could also be someone who has entered the same "industry" as you but at a later date. In this case "industry" has a very broad meaning, e.g. the entertainment industry, a professional sports league.

The Sempai/Kouhai relationship can be quite confusing and complicated. A "sempai" is the person with more experience at a job or longer tenure in an organization/group. The "sempai" is usually older and wiser (at least they're supposed to be wiser. They've been around the block a few times, so they are supposed to know the ropes. It is the sempai's responsibility to look out for their kouhais. To mentor them and help them get used to their new surroundings. Conversely, a kouhai is supposed respect the sempai and learn all they can from them. They are supposed to defer to the sempai and their experience is certain situations. Eventually, kouhais become sempais so they will get the chance to be the big shot. Someday, they will get their chance to sit on top of the totem pole.

The kanji characters for kouhai are 後輩. 後 is read as "kou". It means "behind", "after", "later", etc. The character for "hai" is 輩. It means "companion" or "line" as in things (people) in a line. So, I guess "kouhai" could literally be translated as "later companion" or "person in line behind me".

Source(s): Me
  • denita
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Opposite Of Senpai

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/mJc7h

No, the roles in Japanese never switch. Senpai and Kohai is really used in terms of upper classmen and lower classmen. The two (one lower, one upper) can move on to be equal rank and both teachers. By all meaning, that same Senpai/Kohai relationship is still there in memory, even if the lower classman exceeds the upper in terms of rank. It's more of a tale of experience and time, rather than rank. Also, Only Senpai is used as a title. Kohai isn't used by the upper classmen to refer to the lower. Only the person's name is used. Sensei is used by teachers and doctors alike. That term has strict usages as a leader, teacher and guider. A Senpai is more as a role model or as a respectable title. Keep in mind, Japanese titles such as -san and -kun still apply. A Senpai can get away formally without using such a title, but the Kohai would have to use -san. The -kun title being someone of equal rank such as two upper classmen or two lower classmen.

• 3 years ago

Kohai Definition

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

opposite of senpai

kouhai = one's junior, underclassman (at school and club)

Source(s): majored in japanese literature
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

(後輩) kouhai: underclassman, junior in school, work, etc. opposite of (先輩) senpai/sempai.

Source(s): Took Japanese as third language
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

後輩 [こうはい] (n) junior (at work or school), (P)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.