Yvonne
Yvonne asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

ADVICE: feel scared of my 1st job?

I have never work b4 in my life, all I do is studying until now, I'm already 22. Now that I've graduated, and I get a job, it is kinda happy to get a job, meaning that I can earn my living. I'll start working by next month. But then when I think of working, I feel scared.

What will it be like in the working world?

What should I prepare myself to?

Do I really wanna work?

I'm so scared of my new chapter of life. I don't know how to say... I'm so blur. I don't know what is like in the working world! Am I alone here? Do anyone ever feel scared like I do. I need some advice on how to handle this matter.

• pam d
    Favorite Answer

It's perfectly natural to feel scared...you are entering into the unknown..but try look upon it as an new adventure in this chapter of your life...when there pay attention to what you are being told to do...then when you get the hang of your work always be ready to take the initiative, people you do that are always thought of well because it is very tiresome if you boss has to tell you every move you need to make.. it will take time for you to get to know everything... just be friendly smile...you will be just fine ..good luck with this new adventure.

Sweetheart, first off you got lucky by having not to work yet at the age of 22. Although it can also be your downfall for it is the reason you are in a panic state right now. Don't worry about the job, you will do fine. The first couple of days will be a little akward but in time you will find that it will be alright as you adapt to it. Plus don't you think it is about that time to start taking care of yourself, having the freedom of knowing that nobody has control of you whether it is money, living situation etc. It will make you feel better about yourself and you will learn alot from it too. Wow still I am amazed 22 never a job, do I really wanna work? That by itself is not a decision many can choose. I feel that you have been secluded from reality and how the real world is, so it is time to get out there. Just thank god you are not joining the armed forces or something lol. Good Luck on your new job.

• Madhu

awh sweetieeee , im 13 years old and i work as a waitress , i have to be sociall , and lovablee with everyone . yu just need some really good tips on the job yur gonna get , which im sure someone will give yu tips . i can understand if your not a people person , cuz for 2 years i was under depression and i was shy and didnt want anyone around me . but you get over it , as i did . its not difficult . but let me tell you now , get a job you like . or else yur fear will increase . if you get a job you like , then yu can get used to it , it mighttt take a few yearrss , maybe , but im sure yur a strong girl , yuve been in life for 27 years , yu can do it babe . once you get a job , and yu finally accomplish things on your own ? its an amazing feeling , and when you find out how amazing you truely are ? you'll feel the best feeling in the world , and about the girl who made fun of youu ? im a waitress , can yu imagine all the little girls or kids that say something as soon as i walk away ? but it doesnt bother , why should it ? if your happy with yourself then yu shuldnt change for someone else , ino its hard to think of that when your in a depressed moddee , but i will admit , im not the prettttiest girl in the worldd , so i try makeup to cover it up and people make fun of me plenty of times , but to this day , it doesnt hurttt . it shuldnt hurt yu either , i hope i helped (:<3

I'm about to start a new job and I'm 33, just returning to the UK from a spell working abroad, I've been working since I was 21 and this is my 6th full time job. Guess what, I'm nervous too!

Best advice I can think of is smile a lot, try to remember names (I always write them down as soon as I can), be humble, ask questions and don't pretend you know everything.

Oh and you'll probably find you're really tired by the end of the day - I found it took some time adjusting to full time work from studying, I always wanted to fall asleep by 3pm!

Give it a week or so before you feel comfortable. Don't worry about being nervous! It's totally natural.

i feel some fear as i have never really had a real job before and im almost 19. Well what are you afraid of really? find that out first. i think it would be just getting used to the job at first because new people don't know the ins and outs really but that is how it will always be. What I do is try not to think about it until it actually happens then when it does act normal and you will adapt. Think positive too.

It is fear of the unknown. A situation never faced before. Don't let your imagination run away with you. Don't think about all the things that could happen as more than not most will never happen. Look at it as an adventure. A chance to learn new things and meet new people. Be yourself. Find something that you really like to do and you will never work a day in your life.

• Weed

It is very daunting, when starting out on a new chapter in your life,but you will be fine, just take it easy , do not expect too much, when you have been at your job for a couple of days you will make new friends , then you will get a social life, which means you can make more friends, do your job to the best of your ability, enjoy your life, Good Luck

Dont be scared. Im sure all will be well. The first day is always the worst. Make sure you have a good nights sleep beforehand. Have your clothes ready that morning. Have a shower and take your time getting ready. Deep breaths before you go in. Remember, everybody will be really nice to you and nobody will expect you to know everything. Take one day at a time and before you know it, you will feel quite at home. I wish you the best of Irish luck. Let us know how you get on.

It is normal to be scare of the unknown.

I was scare when I was in my 1st job. Fortunately, the supervisor understand that I am a fresh graduate without any working experiences. Therefore, he didn't have any unrealistic expectation from me.

The key to success on the job is to be humble. Don't pretend that you know everything and always ask for help when you are in doubt.

That way, you will make less mistakes and have opportunities to learn from your senior. Your attitute on the job is important, be humble, friendly, polite and respect your senior.

Then you will be popular and get a lot of help from others.

well this isn't a answer, more like i know what your going through, Ive never worked a day in my life, I'm a full tI'me student going to school 10 hours a day, 5 days outta the week to graduate in 3 years, but yea I'm terrified as well, especially because im wanna be a cop