St clare of Assisi help!?

What is the influence that this personality had on the society of the time, particulary with respect to the way they followed Christ and had an impact on the Catholic Church.

Could you please please please help me! Could you kindly please put it into words not sites please!? I'm running out of time and I desperatly need some help with this. I just want to you just write a small paragraph not websites! i'm running out of time! Thanks!

oH NO NO!

I just want a small and short paragraph that answers my question. I don't want one from a website.

No long ones. The size if the 5th answer is PERFECT but in a differnt form of words. That I can tell is from the net. and I have used that site to answer another question of mine.

Please help me! This is really urgent!

Favorite Answer

Saint Clare of Assisi, born Chiara Offreduccio (July 16, 1194 – August 11, 1253) was an Italian saint, one of the first followers of Francis of Assisi and founded the Order of Poor Ladies, commonly referred to as the Poor Clares, to organize the women who chose to embrace monastic life in the Franciscan vision.

Clare of Assisi was born in Assisi, Umbria, as the eldest daughter of Favorino Scifi, Count of Sasso-Rosso and his wife Ortolana.

Ortolana was a very devout woman who had undertaken pilgrimages to Rome, Santiago de Compostela and the Holy Land. Later on in her life, Ortolana entered Clare's monastery.[1]

Although many commentators claim that Clare heard Francis preaching in the streets of Assisi about his new mendicant order (then newly-approved by Pope Innocent III) and was moved by his words, there is no explicit evidence for this in the sources.

On March 20, 1212, Clare's parents had decided she would marry a wealthy young man. In desperation Clare escaped her home and sought refuge in St. Francis, who received her into religious life.

Clare lived for very brief periods, first, in a nearby Benedictine monastery of nuns, San Paolo delle Abadesse, and then at a house of female penitents, Sant'Angelo in Panza on Monte Subasio. Her sister Agnes of Assisi also left her parents and followed Clare to Sant'Angelo. [2]

Clare and Agnes soon moved to the church of San Damiano. Francis himself had rebuilt this church and led Clare to it. Other women joined them and San Damiano became known for its radically austere lifestyle. The women were at first known as the "Poor Ladies."

San Damiano became the focal point for a religious order known in Clare's lifetime as the "Order of San Damiano." San Damiano was long thought to be the first house of this order, however, recent scholarship strongly suggests that San Damiano actually joined an existing network of women's religious houses organized by Hugolino (who later became Pope Gregory IX). Hugolino wanted San Damiano as part of the order he founded because Clare's prestige would add so much luster to it.[3] Nevertheless, San Damiano did emerge as the most important house in the order and Clare became its undisputed figurehead. By 1263, just ten years after Clare's death, the order became known as the "Order of Saint Clare."

Saint Clare miraculously intervenes to save a child from a wolf, in this panel by Giovanni di Paolo, 1455.

Unlike the Franciscan friars, whose members moved around the country to preach, Saint Clare's sisters lived in enclosure, since an itinerant life was hardly conceivable at the time for women. Their life consisted of manual labour [4] and prayer.

After a time when the order was directed by Francis himself [5], in 1216, Clare accepted the role of abbess at San Damiano. This gave her order greater autonomy than the title of a prioress, who had to follow the orders of a priest heading the community. [6]

As abbess, she defended her order from the attempts of prelates to impose a rule on them that more closely resembled the Rule of St Benedict than Francis' stricter vows. Clare also played a significant role in encouraging and aiding Francis, whom she saw as a spiritual father figure: she took care of him during his illnesses at the end of his life, until his death in 1226.

After Francis's death, Clare continued to promote the growth of her order, writing letters to abbesses in other parts of Europe and thwarting every attempt by each successive Pope to impose a Rule on her order which watered down the radical commitment to corporate poverty she had originally embraced. She did this despite the fact that she had endured a long period of poor health until her death.

She is known for her loyalty to Saint Francis, so much so that she was sometimes titled alter Franciscus, another Francis. [7] "Imitation of Christ" was an important theme in Christian spirituality, especially from the 11th century. Francis of Assisi, who is said to have received the stigmata (wounds of the crucified Christ) in his own flesh, became a famous example of this "imitation of Christ." Clare too saw herself as an "imitator" and follower of Christ, as her own writings amply show. After her death, however, popes and hagiographers who wrote about Clare began to downplay this aspect of her life and spirituality, which made her both like Christ and like Francis, and to play up her imitation of Mary, a notion that received little or no attention in her own writing. Some scholars see this as part of the tension that erupted between the later Franciscans and the Order of Saint Clare. The Franciscan friars wished to distance themselves from the women, whereas the women saw their union with Francis and his friars as an essential aspect of their identity.[8] Indeed, Clare of Assisi made this point strongly in her 1253 Rule when she quoted Francis as having said to her and her sisters: “Because by divine inspiration you have made yourselves daughters and servants of the Most High King, the heavenly Father, and have espoused yourselves to the Holy Spirit, choosing to live according to the perfection of the holy Gospel, I resolve and promise for myself and for my brothers to always have that same loving care and solicitude for you as [I have] for them.” Clare then added: "As long as he lived he diligently fulfilled this and wished that it always be fulfilled by the brothers."[9] Making Mary, rather than Christ, the preeminent model for Clare and her sisters also reinforces women's secondary status vis-a-vis men who tend to see themselves as imitators and followers of Christ.[10]

On August 9, 1253, the Papal bull Solet annure of Pope Innocent IV confirmed that Clare's Rule would serve as the governing rule for the Order of Poor Ladies. Two days later, on August 11, Clare died at the age of 59.

On August 15, 1255, Pope Alexander IV canonized Clare as Saint Clare of Assisi. In 1263, Pope Urban IV officially changed the name of the Order of Poor Ladies to the Order of Saint Clare.

On February 17, 1958, Pope Pius XII designated her as the patron saint of television, on the basis that, when she was too ill to attend a Mass, she had been miraculously able to see and hear it on the wall of her room. The Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) was founded by Mother Angelica, a Poor Clare.

In art, she is shown carrying a monstrance or pyx, in commemoration of the time when she warded away attackers at the gates of her convent by raising the Blessed Sacrament over the wall.

Lake Saint Clair and the Saint Clair River in the Great Lakes region of North America were named on her feast day August 12, 1679. Since 1970, her feast day has been the date of her death August 11 in the revised liturgical calendar. Although her body is no longer incorrupt, her skeleton was found to be in a perfect state of preservation and is displayed in Assisi.

• Amber

Clare is the patron saint of TVs. When she was dying, she was bedridden and she had a vision of mass being said. This I know because a friend (who's Catholic) gave me a St Clare statue for my TV. The rest I know because St Clare is a personal hero for my college roommate who is a pastor in a traditional peace church. And also because I went to a Catholic high school. She founded the Poor Clares (orininally The Order of Poor Ladies), an order who devoted themselves to poverty, chastity and obedience. Her mother was a very devout woman who had gone on several pilgrimages. She took after her mother. When her parents arranged a marriage for her, she ran away and took refuge with St Francis. She became a Benadictine (I think) nun and she and her sister went back to Francis forming the female version of the Franciscans.

St. Clare

Clare was a beautiful Italian noblewoman who became the Foundress of an order of nuns now called "Poor Clares." When she heard St. Francis of Assisi preach, her heart burned with a great desire to imitate Francis and to live a poor humble life for Jesus. So one evening, she ran away from home, and in a little chapel outside Assisi, gave herself to God. St. Francis cut off her hair and gave her a rough brown habit to wear, tied with a plain cord around her waist. Her parents tried in every way to make her return home, but Clare would not. Soon her sister, St. Agnes joined her, as well as other young women who wanted to be brides of Jesus, and live without any money. St. Clare and her sisters wore no shoes, ate no meat, lived in a poor house, and kept silent most of the time. Yet they were very happy, because Our Lord was close to them all the time. Once, He saved them from a great danger in answer to St. Clare's prayer. An army of rough soldiers came to attack Assisi and they planned to raid the convent first. Although very sick, St. Clare had herself carried to the wall and right there, where the enemies could see it, she had the Blessed Sacrament placed. Then on her knees, she begged God to save the Sisters. "O Lord, protect these Sisters whom I cannot protect now," she prayed. A voice seemed to answer: "I will keep them always in My care." At the same time a sudden fright struck the attackers and they fled as fast as they could. St. Clare was sick and suffered great pains for many years, but she said that no pain could trouble her. So great was her joy in serving the Lord that she once exclaimed: "They say that we are too poor, but can a heart which possesses the infinite God be truly called poor?" We should remember this miracle of the Blessed Sacrament when in Church. Then we will pray with great Faith to Jesus in the Holy Eucharist: "Save me, O Lord, from every evil - of soul and body." Her feast day is August 11.

If you want a woman who had an impact on the Catholic Church's teachings on women, I suggest you research Edith Stien. She was a convert from Judaism and died in the holocaust, and her writings influenced Pope John Paul II on many encyclicals.

im actually doin a project on this saint right now

i was going to ask the same question lol :)

its saint francis of assisi. that is parton saint of animals.

• Seems someone didn't do either their homework or their classwork for CCD?

i dont know

Source(s): me