Lars Ulrich-Metallica vs. Niel Peart-Rush.....?

I agree 100%-Niel is my top favorite, I wanted to see if anyone would vote Lars against him...

Favorite Answer

Megan R pretty much summed it up

You cant compare Ulrich to the god called Neil Peart

Full Disclosure: I am a fan of both but I am a Rush fan first and foremost. That being said, Lars is neither as good or as bad as the posts here state. Lars Ulrich is a very talented drummer - his rhythms are what drive all of Metallica's songs. In the realm of 4/4, straight ahead metal he could hod his own with almost anyone. Neil Peart has separated himself from the pack and can stand with nearly any percussionist anywhere. His talent is for finding the hard way to do anything (just listen to Xanadu - in one part he has a hi hat hit going tap tap tap which doesn't match the rhythm of the rest of the drums. Stuff like that is so hard to do). He knows his own stuff so well that often times you will see he alters his sticking from tour to tour on the same song - I guess just to challenge himself. Neil is a devoted Buddy Rich and Gene Kruppa (look em up if you don't know who they are) follower and has himself become a known name in the world of Jazz and big band percussion - both of which are generally much more advanced than any flavor of rock. So yes, while I admit openly my own Rush fanboy status that doesn't mean I can't look at this objectively. Between Lars & Neil - Neil is the stronger.

That's like asking "poorsias with a rubber band hooked to a box or Eddie Van Halen on a good day". Peart. Only Peart. In rock music, he pretty much stands alone.

• Neil Peart - Rush

• fred p

Neil Peart. Besides being the drummer for Rush, he is also the lyricist. What is surprising to me is that he still takes drum lessons from jazz and world music drummers! I have an enclosed an interview he did for Modern Drummer Magazine in the 90's. He is quite a humble man. http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Venue/9123/st...

Neil peart by far

I like metallica way more than rush but peart is king better then keith moon too

Lars is a phenomenal Drummer, however, Neal Peart is simply God, and the best Drummer alive.

Peart defiantly

his drumming is so powerful amazing and diverse it's almost impossible to recreate.

There's no contest - Peart, definitely!

Niel Peart

Lars is a bit*h