Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Can Breakups cause Trauma and/or mental illness?

Favorite Answer

Some people kill themselves. It can do crazy stuff to your mind

Source(s): life

Yes. Any sort of trauma (and a break-up IS a trauma) can exacerbate any underlying difficulties a person may have, to the extent that what was manageable becomes unmanageable and this is mental illness. Most of us have SOME underlying difficulties - we may get rather anxious, we may find criticism hard to take, we may easily feel rejected, we may get angry for no apparent reason. When life is ticking along just fine, these things can be dealt with and lived with. Throw a break-up into the mix, though, and the difficulties with eg criticism become huge - so we keep thinking everyone is getting at us, interpret every word or even look as criticism, and we may become very withdrawn as a result and stuck in our misery. That is just one example.

Good therapy for someone who has been catapulated into mental problems by a break-up can make the world of difference.

I think they cause trauma, but mental illness has to have the seed already there and the breakup or any major upset sets that off badly. Unfortunately this happens too often. People put all of themselves into a relationship and then when it's over they are a mess. They have meshed their identity so completely with someone else that they all of sudden have an indentity crisis. I think that is what really gets the illness rolling.

You have some good responses so far. Mental illness can be caused by the imperfect nature of our mortal state, a biological fluke, or by substance abuse (not your case I'm sure), or by living environment such as abusive upbringing and mental compensation as a defense mechanism. Those have all been addressed by other respondents. They can be treated with medication, counseling, love and blessings. The last item is the possession of evil spirits. My maternal grandmother suffered a mental/nervous breakdown when my Mother was only three. She spent the last 15-20 years of her life in the Camarillo State Mental Hospital where she finally passed away at the young age of 61 from lung cancer of all things (she never smoked a day of her life). My mother asked her Stake leaders what they thought of the situation and they told her the evil spirit story. Just as she was nearing death, her mind cleared and she recognized my grandfather and mother which she had not done for the whole time she was in the hospital. The story was that the evil spirit, knowing that its host was dying, left and that her natural abilities could again come forth. I don't know if I believe that story or not but you can think about it for what it is worth. My grandparent were not LDS. My mother is a convert and the only member in her otherwise Protestant family. They are all good people and faithful Christians as far as they understand it. The point is that grandmother never received a priesthood blessing that could have released her from possession, if indeed that was the cause of her illness. In my own family, my wife suffered from what she described as dark influences after we got married. She had been inactive and reactivated when I met her. We were married in the L.A. temple and the influences from her inactive days were trying to reclaim her. I gave her a blessing and those influences left her and she has never been bothered by them again, more than 33 years later. So, your question does not have a simple answer. There are many factors with many potential solutions. Please know that we are aware of mental illness and treat it with love, concern and respect. There will be no need to fear rejection. I hope this helps a little bit.

Mental illness is a very broad topic to explain with out doing a diagnosis or speaking to the individual.

But to answer your question; "breakups" between a person and a group or another individual can cause some folks distress. Depending on the type of connection they had to the other entity.

For example a child and the divorce of the parents can be very traumatic and possibly lead to future difficulties as they reach adulthood and try to create personal relationships.

In the end it all depends on the individuals personality, support group, health, psych stability before a traumatic experience. This allows us to know if the person will be able to handle it with ease or if it will create more vitiable behaviors later on in life.

Source(s): psychology degree

Any serious change in an environment can be traumatic, as far as mental illness though, that is remote. Depression? Yes, and many other symptoms of what the trauma is doing to the body systems...........

Any stress including good like a big move, promotion or wedding can cause mental illness. Actually my friend the psych grad said that the major work times for Psychologists are Christmas & Thanksgiving.

Depression isn't just a mental disorder is also very physical so I would say yes. Im happily married but I will always have some scars of my ex's. It's just a matter of excepting and moving on.

i know it can cuase trauma....and the mental illness can come into play if u cant get that person out ur head and u get obssed

Look up the "kindling affect" break ups can add stress and this stress can cause illness

i think so. i have becme a mental case since me and my ex broke up. and look at meridith grey on greys anatomy. i think that show is trying to address this topic indirectly