Gamma Ray Burst's???

Gamma Ray Bursts, i want to know more about them and research them. I have gotten data from the BATSE website and i want to somehow, make GRB's a topic in my science fair. This is not really a traditional sciene fair it is an international science contest, ISEF. And please don't tell me that i woun't be able to do anything, because if you go to the ISEF website, you will see under 2008 results, (after some navigation) there are projects such as black holes and similar things like that, so it is possible to make such a project. And i want it to be real science. :)

it is all theoretical and observational, NOT EXPERIMENTAL

Favorite Answer

A gamma ray is one of the most poweful and destructive forces in the electromagnetic range. Gamma rays are emmited during a supernova, type IA or IIA, and are constantly being produced by white holes, the "theoretical" other end of a black hole. If one was to look at an animation of a supernova they would see a bright beam of light baing spewed from it, this is a gamma ray. A GRB reffers to the gamma rays being emitted or stricking earth. If this where to happen, the atmoshpere would vaporize and all living things, or almost, would die of 1,000 time the lethal dose of radiation. If going to ISEF, where i have competed, you will need a concrete basis for your project explainng what they are where they come from, effects of them, and on and on. Research supernovae first, and then go on from there, Also watch the UNIVERSE, my favorite show.

start here http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20080516/sc_space/bi...

But space.com has may articles on this subject