Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What does the spanish word "tocayo" or "tocallo" mean in English?

I think it may be a slang word.

Favorite Answer

"tocayos" are two or more people that have the same name.

My name is David, and my best friend is David too, we're "tocayos". He is "mi tocayo", and I am "su tocayo".

You are "tocayo" with anyone who has the same name as you (first or given name, not last name).

EDIT:

yes, it's not slang. But I don't think it's exactly the same as English "namesake". You can be the namesake of your grand father or the namesake of General Lee, but in Spanish, you can never say you are their "tocayo".

Spanish Word For Name

• tandie

Tocayo In English

Regardless of what anyone wants to believe, tocayo is Spanish for namesake (a term used to characterize a person, place, thing, quality, action, state, or idea that has the same, or a similar, name to another - especially (but not exclusively) if the person or thing is actually named after another, rather than merely sharing the name of another). Which means, by definition, if you were named after a relative or celebrity, or happened to have the same name as a friend, acquaintance, classmate, co-worker or whatnot, you are his/her namesake, just as he/she is yours.

It just means that somebody has the same name as you do. Like if somebody is called Elizabeth, and you met another girl named Elizabeth. She would be her "tocaya"

There is not an actual English word for that.

But now you know what it means. Hope that helped!

Source(s): Native Spanish Speaker

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I think it may be a slang word.

Source(s): spanish word quot tocayo quot quot tocallo quot english: https://shortly.im/xXvxW

Penales means Penalties In Southamerica Penales, In Spain, Penaltys.

It doesn't seem to be slang or colloquial. Friends from Mexico, Columbia, and Puerto Rico are familiar with it.

If you're someone's tocayo it means that you share the same first name.

A twin or some who has the same name as you do!