Can we - Hellas Turkiye - become friends?

Why not? I know many Greeks living in Turkiye, and Turks living in Hellas. They have no problems.. I even have friends who know Greek and like to speak it (Turkish citisens..)

Is the problem politic or historical.. (or both)

Is Istanbul very special for you indeed?

Is there a way out?

I wish i could have choosen all of the answers best,, friends i honestly didn't expect amswers such these.. It's a good thing to know that there are people like you.. Please help me to choose the best :))

• Elaine
    Favorite Answer

Great question! :)

The Turkish and Greek people (I mean the normal people, because racists, bigots and die-hard nationalists are sadly a minority in almost every country, we must ignore them though) can surely be friends. We have so many things in common after all. This is not just my opinion, but a fact. I'm certain most of us have already examples from our personal life, or from our friends, relatives, etc...

(Here is a personal story -well, kind of personal: My godmother and her family are Greeks from Istanbul. They had to leave, but her mum always tells me about their life there, the city, their friends, and especially, their next-door neighbours who sheltered them for a week in their house during the 1955 riots. When they left, the next-door lady was crying, because, as my godmother's mum tells me, "we were like sisters". After all these years, they are still in touch, and they have visited each other several times, in Athens and in Istanbul. And my godmother will marry a turkish guy in June this year).

So, on a people-to-people basis, we can be friends. As we have been for a long time.

Having said that (and at the risk of sounding bitter or ruining the mood of the other posters), there are unsolved issues between our countries that need to be settled. The minorities, the Cyprus problem, the rights of each country in the Aegean etc have to be resolved once and for all, by mutual co-ooperation and on the basis of respect to international law and human rights. If we solve these problems, apart from preventing the loss of human lives (first and foremost) and achieving a closer alliance on a political level, it will be much easier for us to trust each other more and to let go of past grudges. And that, I think, is very important.

(Long answer)!

ADDED: I also agree with sismanusta.

Good question! I have also experienced the problems between Greece and Turkey while being a tourist guide on the island of Rhodes in Greece. Sometimes the tourists could have ferry tours to Turkey, but sometimes it was forbidden. I learned, though, that both Greeks and Turks, who had to do with each other regarding this tourist business, could discuss with each other in a quite friendly way.

The problems between the two countries, are both historical and political since many centuries, if not thousands years ago, I believe.

I really hope those two countries could become friends! It seems unlikely that they will find out a way out in the near future, sadly enough! But let´s hope for the best!

I´m sorry, have not visited Istanbul, but have heard it is quite an interesting city.

• Ipek K

Of course we can- especially on people basis- and most of the people who had a chance to meet already are.

I have been in Athens a while ago and out of the countries I have been and lived at, if I were to choose any place other than my own, I would choose Greece.

Just ask the people from both nations who have to work and live abroad what they feel when they start talking to a Turk or a Greek.. I can tell from my own experiences; it is a very nice and comforting to see another person who completely understands the way you behave and what you mean also share a common culture with you:). I know some Greek people will object to what I say now but it is the truth. I've been there, done that :)

People should leave politics to politicians- and we all have our corrupted ones who like to manipulate situations for their own benefits- and history to historians.

Both nations have their bad experiences about the other but what is past is past and it is irreversible .

Fatty says:

Do you imagine how strong would be a Greece-Turkey allied forces at Agean and Mediterian Sea's.. There must be some countries who don't want this and create fabricated, fake problems..

as Hellas and Turkiye ,propably not ...

as Hellenes and Turkish yes....

u see, political,we cant be ,its a fact...

but as individual we are already,kind of.......

of course there are previous issues that left to people hard feelings,both of sides.....

Greeks remember the Izmir,the pontic Greek genocide,the 400 occupation by Ottomans,the invansion to cyprus and so on....(as a Greek i am talking about our point of view)

but everything from that is in the past,what happened was happened and it cant be changed or do something about this....

this generations are differents and noone harmed the other.....

Turks are friendly towards us,Greek are friendly toward them..we have much in common,we are neighbours....

Personally i have many Turkish friends and some of them are learning greek too,and i helep them...

they also tell me about Turkish cuisine which i find similar to greek and also delicious..

if we put aside the bone-headednationalist of both sides,yes,we are already friends

let bygones,be bygones...

Source(s): ipek you are right.thumbs up from me!
  • Tanju

Hi,

I believe, We are already friends like Tolia said ...

My Dearest Friend Tolia, came to Istanbul and We talked lots of things...

We drank something looking Bosphorus and We watched Istanbul on the top ...

She brought also some gift from My Village, she is also My Best Friend like she is My Sister, Forever ...

Best Wishes ...

Only the really fanatic people in both countries believe that there is a problem.And of course,as mentioned,the problem is always political..Vicious circle of diplomacy..bad diplomacy.

Very good question and Yes, I love both Greece and Turkey

This is not only a nice question but also very-very polite. However, please, ask this question again on a Monday. I've noticed that many people use their work internet. So, on a Monday, you will get more replies.

Aren't we already???Love and kisses from Greece!!!!Yia sou.