- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
In seconds, I was overlooking beautiful Auckland.
空中英語雜誌的這篇文章應該有錯誤吧!Source(s): google book 專業英語字典 空中英語教室網頁
- 1 decade ago
1If a building or window overlooks a place, you can see the place clearly from the building or window.
Pretty and comfortable rooms overlook a flower-filled garden.
Jack Aldwych lived in a huge, old two-storeyed house overlooking Harbord.
2If you overlook a fact or problem, you do not notice it, or do not realize how important it is.
We overlook all sorts of warning signals about our own health.
...a fact that we all tend to overlook.
3overlook overlooks overlooking overlooked
If you overlook someone's faults or bad behaviour, you forgive them and take no action.
...satisfying relationships that enable them to overlook each other's faults.
overlook verb [transitive]
1 to not notice something: It is easy to overlook a small detail like that.
2 to ignore and forgive someone's mistake, bad behaviour etc: I'll overlook your mistake this time.
3 if a building, room, or window overlooks a place, you can look down on that place from it: Our room overlooks the ocean. | My garden is overlooked by the neighbours.
–verb (used with object) 1. to fail to notice, perceive, or consider: to overlook a misspelled word.
2. to disregard or ignore indulgently, as faults or misconduct: Only a parent could overlook that kind of behavior.
3. to look over, as from a higher position: a balcony that overlooks the ballroom.
4. to afford a view over; look down or out upon: a hill overlooking the sea.
5. to rise above: The Washington Monument overlooks the tidal basin.
6. to excuse; pardon: a minor infraction we can overlook this time.
7. to look over in inspection, examination, or perusal: They allowed us to overlook the proposed contract.
8. to look after, oversee, or supervise: She has to overlook a large number of employees.
9. Archaic. to look upon with the evil eye; bewitch.
–noun 10. terrain, as on a cliff, that affords an attractive vista or a good view: Miles of landscape could be seen from the overlook.