I am inetrested in the Akita breed. Are they good family dogs? Do they get along with other pets?

Recently I have been interested in the Akita breed. I just had a few questions about them. My main concern is that they are not good with children and other pets since there is already one dog, and a baby in my house. I've read that Akitas are good with children inside their own family, but that if a child... show more Recently I have been interested in the Akita breed. I just had a few questions about them. My main concern is that they are not good with children and other pets since there is already one dog, and a baby in my house.
I've read that Akitas are good with children inside their own family, but that if a child outside of her family is rough housing with the her child she will not be afraid to kill or maim the other child when she thinks things are getting out of control? Also I've read that Akitas can get into blood and guts fights with other dogs if provoked? Is all of this true or just myths? If it is true is it only a result of not being properly socialized when young?