Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Am I too emotionally attached to my car? If so how do I detach myself?

I have a very old and ailing Volvo 740 station wagon... I have had the car since I was 16 and I am almost 21 now - I have taken such good care of the car, but my baby isn't in as good a shape as I want it...

I have financial problems, but I am treating the car almost like a sick child... I am willing to spend thousands of dollars to do an overhaul etc. rather than spending that same amount of money on a new car... Am I being irrational?

I have no "people" in my life... btw... the car is all I got...

Favorite Answer

Ohhh I have the same problem ....That's how I found your question. I don't think your being irrational at all. It's your car and it been with you for a long time. It's your money and if it would satisfy your soul to fix it up so that you can keep going with it WHY NOT !

I like the old saying " the cheapest car to own is the one you already have" and That old Volvo can take you to the same places that a new car can!

Myself, I have old Chevy that I bought 12 years ago used. It was only two years old and I had to work so hard to get it! It literally changed my life to get that car cause then I FINALLY had reliable transportation! No more buses or begging rides. I was finally able to go after a "good" job! Also I finally had FREEDOM to go anywhere! The car has NEVER broken down and is good on gas. It has almost 200,000 miles. It has been the one constant thing I could count on NO MATTER what ( of course except mom and my cats) Sadly, this evening a SUV rear ended me. My "baby" is drivable but hurting. I think about $1500.00 to fix her. Not sure if the insurance company will pay that. I hope I can keep her.

So in closing I totally understand your attachment.

You are being irrational. Stop wasting money on that beater and get yourself something nicer. It's easy to get attatched to a car that you've had for a long time and that's taken good care of you, but there will always come the time to let it go. Chances are, you'll find something you like better and the Volvo will be a fleating memory of the good ol' days.

• seay

Wow...enable me initiate off asserting that your mom does not hate you, and that i do no longer think of you hate your mom. She loves you, She in simple terms has a hard way of exhibiting it. confident she is probable dealing with menopause via temper-swings, appears like one 2d she's crying and the subsequent she's insulting and giggling at you. you're able to sit down and function a a million on a million communicate along with her tell her that the insults is hurting you and he or she could end in the previous issues get worst. tell her which you have low vanity and you seeing a therapist approximately it. possibly you may persuade her to work out a therapist too. i think of the issue is her new boyfriend, because of the fact appears like he do no longer do no longer something for her, thats why she so based on you to do issues for her. Her new boyfriend needs to get out of you and your mom's lives ASAP. possibly her new boyfriend is abusive, 2 signs and indicators which you advised me is that she that treats you like crap and the temper swings. What i want to propose on your mom is help, the two a therapist or a psychologist. additionally tell your mom that as quickly as you marry your boyfriend that she heavily isn't disregarded. no count what she says or do to you she nevertheless your mom, and a mom and infant courting is actual unconditional love. tell her which you adore her now and lower back. One final element if the insults proceed spend extra time with your boyfriend appears like he make you happy.

OK hon.....bottom line answer is YES...

Its a car. It doesn't love you back. I understand being sentimental, however, if financially your already in trouble do you really want to continue spending money on something that is destined to crap out. YES to being irrational. Sell it, get you a new one, and meet some real people.

If you have time to waste. Buy a new car and get on with your life. It is an object, not a human being.

• rick

Get a kitten get rid of the car and buy something that will not turn good money into bad.

thats gone old now ....u can extend its life fr some years by spending on it .....if u feel that amount nominal and affordable then do it .....otherwise sell it fr somebobdy else and make the most of it . i think it will be the justice to ur emotions fr ur car .....as letting it stand idle in ur garage will still deteriorate its condition and u will feel hurt .......and if sold off .....u may see that oneday running on roads..... bye

• Jay L

Its a car, a thing, it can't care for you one little bit.

try to develop some other interests. go to church, and det involved there, go to college and get involved in extra cirrecular activities, go to the park and jion in a pick up game of basketball,

meet people.

dude thats weak.. not in a bad way or anything but you said it yourself, you are spending thousands on a metal death trap.

Crash the car, or atleast get over it.

Smoke a bowl and flip a coin, there's your answer