shoreke asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

Duke alumnus JJ Redick is one of the best shooters in basketball history. Why does he stink as an NBA player?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Redick is a great catch & shoot guy. The college game is suited for his style of play. The 30sec shot clock allowed his Duke team the luxury to patiently wait for Redick to run behind picks and screens for an open shot. The caliber of defense he faces nightly in the NBA is light years beyond what he saw at the college level. The NBA has a 24 sec clock so his team cannot afford to wait until he gets open. As a 6' 4" shooting guard, Redick is guarded every night by a defender who is bigger and quicker than he is. Redick is seldom open for a clean look at the basket. There is always a hand in his face with little time on the clock when he gets the ball. Redick cannot create his own shot. He has a difficult time scoring with a hand in his face. In addition, his lack of NBA caliber speed, quickness, leaping ability, and inability to play NBA level defense is a recipe for failure. Redick joins the ranks of the all time great college players who suck as pros. Damon Bailey, Bobby Hurley, Steve Wojciechowski and Gerry McNamara welcome Redick to the club.

• Brian
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I agree. However, just shooting can't make you a great NBA player. It takes more than that. He can shoot, but he may not be able to get open with quicker, better players in the NBA, so that is useless. He also can't give you much besides shooting. He can't rebound or pass well. However, I do believe that he should get more minutes despite that because of his shooting ability.

Source(s): Duke fan
  • 1 decade ago

because in the NBA you have to do more than shoot. He is not that great of a player anyways. Plus now that he is away from Duke he isn't getting homer calls from the refs.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

shooting isnt everything in the NBA... if thats all he can do and nothing else then his defender should just lock on him and never let him shoot...

but honestly JJ doesnt stink... hes just having a hard time with the transition from college ball to pro ball and with that problem also him not getting enough playing time....

not enough playing time reduces ones confidence and work ethic.... if he was given time to develop and play like dip him in the NBDL then he would be a good player

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

the reason jj sucks in the nba is because he is not quick. u need that first step to get an open shoot. he needs more quickness to be good in the nba

• 1 decade ago

because he is not the best shooter in basketball history, in the NBA he's not even the best shooter on his team

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

he does not stink he has not gotten over 15 mins a game in his career...he needs to be traded...his talent is just going to waste

• 1 decade ago

being a UNC fan i must say that a lot of dukies get into the league and dont do a dang thing... besides uhhhhh boozer and brand i really cant think of any other above avg dukies..... they just dont have what it takes.... they are mostly jus good college players who fit coach k system... thats it..

i never liked jj i always thought my man adam morrison was way better than him...

• 1 decade ago

He seems nervous/scared while playing

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because he went to a ACC school he should have went to a BIG TEN school it would have been better. Look a t Deron williams he went to Illinois and hes the best point gaurd in the league.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.