Anyone ever have Sleep Apnea??

Well I agree, Sleep Apnea does not discriminate.. I'm four foot six inches tall and weigh possibly 67lbs my weight goes up and down alot... I've had a sleep study a few years ago.. But I lost my mom in Oct of 07 and ever since then, I have had tons of problems... Thanks for the link...

The links that you sent didn't not work.. I've been doing all the research I can possibly do here.. Thanks the same!

Define "Fat"...

I'm not at all Fat, I could use some "Fat" as one puts it, but I'm not "Fat"

I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but I almost died two years ago from Influenza Strain B and pnumia(Sp) and they "claim" that its an old folks thing and that thats really what happens to elderly in the nursing homes, they don't got it to fight off and so there for it basically kills them.. And at that time, my dad's mom was in a nursing home and I went with him on a friday and by Monday night, I was being air lifted outta there from our local hospital...They told my family at that time that I'd be apt to get infection in the lungs which I was born with alot of "Medical Conditions" and it just added to it.. On top of all of that I have the same injuries Christopher Reeves (Superman) had but I'm able to walk and breathe and no one knows why...

I can't keep my weight up very well, and I just recently lost my mom she was my whole world and my best friend.. And seems like since she died, everythings gone down hill for me.. I had one Doctor inform me that it was all in my head.

Which granted Ive been dealing with a huge loss in my life, but when you can't keep food down, and your dehydrated which I know when I am getting that way been there done that many times in the past.. Its like I know my own self and then you get freak MD's that think there "God" ya know.. Its irrating..

Favorite Answer

dr_murukuti is completely wrong in ever way. Not only do heavy people have this disease, but infants to the elderly alike. THIS DISEASE DOESN'T DISCRIMINATE!!

My source quotes "Despite the difference in the root cause of each type, in all three, people with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly during their sleep, sometimes hundreds of times during the night and often for a minute or longer.

Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is caused by a blockage of the airway, usually when the soft tissue in the rear of the throat collapses and closes during sleep. In central sleep apnea, the airway is not blocked but the brain fails to signal the muscles to breathe. Mixed apnea, as the name implies, is a combination of the two. With each apnea event, the brain briefly arouses people with sleep apnea in order for them to resume breathing, but consequently sleep is extremely fragmented and of poor quality.

Sleep apnea is very common, as common as adult diabetes, and affects more than twelve million Americans, according to the National Institutes of Health. Risk factors include being male, overweight, and over the age of forty, but sleep apnea can strike anyone at any age, even children. Yet still because of the lack of awareness by the public and healthcare professionals, the vast majority remain undiagnosed and therefore untreated, despite the fact that this serious disorder can have significant consequences.

Untreated, sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and other cardiovascular disease, memory problems, weight gain, impotency, and headaches. Moreover, untreated sleep apnea may be responsible for job impairment and motor vehicle crashes. Fortunately, sleep apnea can be diagnosed and treated. Several treatment options exist, and research into additional options continues. "

My parents and I all have sleep apnea, and I have seen infants who have this disease as well. The device we use to control it is called a CPAP, or 'continuous positive airway pressure'.

This website will give you a picture of the CPAP as well as give you some basic information on it. Truly, sleep apnea isn't a big deal, although it takes a week or two to get used to sleeping with a CPAP.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-apnea/c...

Source(s): http://www.sleepapnea.org/info/index.html personal experience

Sleep apnea is an important sleep disorder where individuals experience irregular breathing and a pause while sleeping. Pauses in breathing could last as long as 10 to 20 seconds and may occur 30 times or more per hour. There are two types of apnea. The first is "obstructive sleep apnea" and the second is "central sleep apnea".

Breathing is either reduced or stopped if you suffer from this problem. Simply the most common sign is when breathing stops for at least 10 seconds. In this write up we will examine some of the other common signs.

Declining Oxygen Levels

The decline of oxygen levels during sleep apnea can result in at least a 4% drop of the oxygen saturation level in the blood. This is a direct result of the decline of the transfer rate of oxygen through the blood when breathing stops. This is one of the most serious signs.

Sleep Disturbance

Sleep can be severely interrupted. You may even wake up fully. You may wake from a deep sleep and still stay in a lighter sleep. This is a common sign and is why sleep apnea measured while sleeping.

Headaches and Dry Throats

These are also common signs. When you wake in the morning you will probably have a dry throat. This can be very uncomfortable and become a hindrance in trying to breathe. A morning headache will also add to a person feeling tired after a nights sleep.

Drowsiness during the Day

People with sleep apnea have such a difficult time because of the sleeping patterns to reach a restful sleep. They can become tired during the day. Their evening sleep can also include loud snoring or snorting.

Lack of Oxygen

The cardiovascular system can be threatened because of the drop of the oxygen level while sleeping. It is important that the cardiovascular system work at its peak in order to supply the tissues with the required amount of oxygen. Without this happening you could develop high blood pressure and even be at risk for heart attacks or strokes.

Having difficulty finding effective sleep apnea cures? Visit the Apnea Guide website at http://www.apneaguide.com/ for helpful information about getting rid of a sleep apnea problem and finally getting a good night's sleep again.

Hope this Helps?

My husband has sleep apnea, it took two studies to diagnose...Ther are many levels of apnea counted by the number of times you stop breathing and for how long each time. The machine can be turned up or down depending on the level of force you need. My husband has a CPAP, my father has a BIPAP(his is more like a respirator as he needs air forced into him due to heart and lung problems)

Hope this information helps!

Those who are very fat will have this sleep apnoea ! It can happen many times in a night. It can be monitored with a machine called SOMNOGRAPH!