Arthur
Arthur asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Fellow Liberals: Did you ever think you'd long for the days of Richard Nixon?

Nixon had his flaws, to be sure, and there's no need to recount them here.

But as President he

created the EPA

created OSHA

created SSI

normalized relations with China, back when China really was communist, rather than communist in name only

Instituted detente with the USSR

called for comprehensive national health care

Now, the man was also a crook (his well known protestation aside), but compared to the far right wingers in power today, I'd be thrilled if Nixon were alive and decided to re-enter politics.

Favorite Answer

I'm a republican and I'd like to see the likes of a Richard Nixon in the White House over the peice of crap we have now!

Nixon was a total political animal.

Any good that came out of Nixon was forced on him from the Democrats, who control the House and Senate with an overwhelming majority. If anything Nixon was able to blunt these progressive policies so later Presidents like Regan and Bush could either stop or reverse them. Nixon's Southern Strategy was the beginning of making the Republican Party the home of the angry white and southern racist (something that if you were a Goldwater Republican was horror to see because it linked racism with social conservatism).

Politically speaking Nixon was the grandfather of our current failure on the right -yes W himself. If any thing W is the very model of what Nixon really wanted to achieve for America - a truly Imperial President, similar to the kings of old Europe, able to rule by degree.

No I do not long for the days of Nixon. I only wish this country would dig up his grave and jam a wooden stack through the heart of his legacy.

The Nation was much more conservative when Nixon was President. The birth Control Pill was the big controversy, Nixon was for getting us out of the Vietnam War which had lost traction, much like the current War, and the Same College Kids that helped get Tricky Dick elected, were the ones that Marched after he got them out of the War and Watergate broke loose. Which my point is, there is no loyalty in Politics.

Although you brought a lot of things about Richard Nixon he is still a very re known ex president , you can not put down a person of that caliber ,he done a lot of things to put America as the best country in the world

you're able to think of you talk for all liberals yet you have purely published the main silly rant of the day. Oh, i'm getting it, you're a troll. The checklist of Cheney/Bush sins is long yet get a grip on certainty. submit a number of their actual evil acts yet you will not do this, you try to trivialize those acts. provide up GOP loser.

If you close your eyes while he's speaking, John McCain actually sounds just like Richard Nixon. I'm serious! I tried it and it's amazing how much his voice and speech patterns sound like him.

But anyways, I think the only person who could actually be worse than Bush is Lucifer himself. Oh-and McCain for wanting to continue Bush's policies. I wasn't alive back then, but I'm sure Nixon was better than what we have now....

The moral: be careful what you wish for.

The Nixon resignation gave us Ford, which opened the door for "Trust Me" Carter, and the reaction to him was Ronald Reagan for 8 years. Then we got Reagan's Vice President. Need I go on from there?

• You forgot affirmative action. That was a Nixon EO too.

Another point to make:

Watergate would be nothing but a minor story today.

He also helped create HMO's, one of the biggest scams to date in America. I will pass.