ameen
Lv 4
ameen asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Poland · 1 decade ago

Why Italy is called "Włochy"?

Why does the Polish call Italy as "Włochy"

How do you pronounce it in English letters?

Does it replace the word Italy? or it is something like Azzuri (the blues)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"Włochy" is pronounced "vuohy" and the "y" at the end of the word sounds like the "i" in the word "sit."

"Włochy" means "Italy," so yes, it does replace the word for Italy in English.

The word "Włochy" (Italy) or "Włosi" (Italians) actually derives from the word "wołoch," which is an old Slavic word that means the same as "stranger" or "alien." I believe the word actually dates back to the late 1300s, when the Roman Empire occupied a region of modern Romania that was then called Wołoszczyzna, which was home to Wołosi (different ethnic groups/tribes living in the Balkans). The Romans in Wołoszczyzna were able to withstand a flood of Slavic tribes that settled around the Balkan peninsula during this time, and the Slavs probably began to refer to them as "wołochy," calling them after the name of the territory.

So basically, the old word that "Włochy" is derived from means "stranger." This should actually make a lot of sense when you think about it because the Italians weren't the only nation Poland came to refer to as "strangers." The word for "Germany" and "Germans" is "Niemcy," which comes from the words "nie + my," meaning "not us."

Hope this helps!

Source(s): Polish is my first language.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

St Petersburg has a thing that gets under the skin and if you intend to discover what it is then, you should have a look with hotelbye . Nevsky Prospect is St Petersburg's main avenue and among the best-known streets in Russia. Chopping through the traditional middle of the town, it operates from the Admiralty, symbol of Russian power, to the Alexander Nevsky Monastery and it is going to be very wonderful to go along this road later in the day when all illuminations on. Here, you will see everything: the absolute most stunning structure, the impressive palaces, the world-famous museums and the shining five-star hotels. One of the areas should see from St. Petersburg is State Hermitage Museum. The key architectural collection of the Hermitage is located in the centre of St Petersburg and consists in: Winter Palace, once the former state house of the Russian emperors, structures of the Small, Old (Great) and New Hermitages, the Hermitage Theatre and the Auxiliary House.

• 7 years ago

Polish culture is based on Western European cultures as much as it is on Eastern European ones. Poland is a country often caught between rivals like Germany and Russia. Poland also always looked to the West for inspiration in things like art, architecture, science, music, etc. Poland regarded countries like Italy, France and even their arch-enemy Germany as models for great achievements in Europe, from the Renaissance through the ages. Therefore, "Wlochy" may indeed be a tribute to Italy in a section of Warsaw, much like the architecture in St. Petersburg in Russia was designed after Venice. The great and beautiful Polish city of Krakow has "Italianate" architecture, too.

• 1 decade ago

What do you mean by "replacing"? "Włochy" just means "Italy" in Polish, there's no other word to name that country. That word comes probably from praslavic language (as Polish is a Slavic language) which was used to name all Roman tribes (yes, long ago, there were tribes in Europe ;P) and at first person from such tribe was called "Wołch". Later, letters o and ł were replaced, and here we are: "Włoch" nowadays mean Italian (male). In the past plural form of the word was "Włochy" - and that's the name of the country; nowadays we call Italians in plural "Włosi" (something like Vwoshi but sh is softer that English one).

Source(s): I hope I've helped.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ARE
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I don't know why it is Włochy but that is the way we say Italy.

Some people will also say Italia, but the official Polish word for Italy is WŁOCHY.

Italian (nationality) = Włoch/Włoszka

Italian (adjective) = włoski, włoskie

You pronounce it

v-u-o-hi or so ;)

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Sounds weird

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.