How expensive is the gastric bypass surgery (bariatric) if you don't have health insurance to pay for it?

I am 39 years old and very obese and have diabetes, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, and high triglycerides. My doctor at the VA Hospital wants them to give me gastric bypass surgery but they no longer do it at the VA Hospital. Is there any VA Hospitals that perform gastric bypass surgeries (regular one) or how much money do you need to have it done on your own? Please help me. Thank You.

Favorite Answer

Completely depends on whether the patient has complications. I had it done 3 years ago...absolutely no complications..total cost was about $30,000

Gastric Bypass Surgery Cost & Profile

* Avg. Cost: $25000

* Candidate: BMI of 40 or higher

* Length: 2 hours

* Treatments: One

* Results: Permanent

* Back to work: 3-6 weeks

I paid about $1,500 out of pocket.

Not sure of any VA hospitals that offer the procedure.

Hope this lets you figure out an estimate on the cost.

I don't know where you are from but call the patient representative at the VA and ask them about other VA hospitals, where they are and if they do the gastric bypass. Try a county hospital in your area (they do have programs) you will probably have to jump thru hoops but it will be worth it.

As for as how much it cost it varies I would say $15000 up to $30000. Also, go to the VA web site

http://www1.va.gov

Weight loss surgery-like gastric bypass surgery have become very common and very safe now. My cousin got her Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery in India. She has lost more than 65 lbs in 5 months and is very happy with the results. The price for obesity surgery is very less in India. My cousin just paid 25% of the cost she was quoted in America. She got her surgery from a company called Forerunners Healthcare.

Forerunners Healthcare is very famous in India. I read a lot about them in the Newspapers and magazines. I have read a lot of their patient stories also. They arrange financing for USA, Canadian, UK and other international patients who plan to have surgery abroad for low cost, as Bariatric surgery and weight loss surgery is not covered by insurance. They also have photos pasted of their International patients. You can checkout their website. There are huge cost savings. As a doctor I personally believe that your Obesity surgery can be easily handled in India, as the quality of healthcare available In India is simply best in the world. The surgeons are USA/UK trained and facilities are 5 star.

http://www.forerunnershealthcare.com

Hope this helps.

Mine was a long time ago - and I had it done at Barix Clinic (they have several locations nationwide) - they work very hard to get insurance to cover it - usually successfully. But mine (with a little complication) was $50k. It may have come down though - since more people are doing it now. Mine was 12 years ago :)

Good luck!

You already know never in order to skip breakfast, but it's also imperative that you eat within an hour of waking for boosting your metabolism.

get ready lunch at your home and also bring it to your do the job

never place derive on your jaws so often

Don't keep junk food within your kitchen. If it's not generally there, you can't be tempted by it.

Aim for a 300- to be able to 400-calorie meal.

Don't keep junk food within your kitchen. If it's not right now there, you can't be tempted by it.