AP Statistics or AP Calculus?

I am going to be a senior next year and planning to be major in Pharmacy when I get to college. My schedule is going to be packed next year with all the AP classes. I heard from a lot of people that AP Statistics is more useful for pharmacy than Ap Calculus. Is this true? So which one should I take next year?

My schedule is going to be: AP Chemistry, AP Biology, either Calc or Stats, Anatomy, and Government, English 12. Do you think that this is good enough?

Favorite Answer

Yeah, i took 5 aps this year, including calc. i am going to uw-madison next year for pre-pharmacy(and hopefully there for pharmacy too, but its really competitive). Im really glad I took calc because you definitely need calc for pharmacy, but my school doesnt offer ap statistics so i didnt have to choose. Either way im sure you'll do fine because you obviously are smart and work hard and everything. One thing you might want to consider though is that kids usually end up taking calc again in college, regardless of the score they get on the ap exam. My teacher told us that the kids who got fives and went straight into second semester of calc felt overwhelmed and had trouble. But if they took first semester again, it was five easy credits because they already had a strong understanding of it, and then they transitioned into calc 2 more smoothly. Im not sure if its a similar situation for statistics though.

I don't know if you still have to take calc in college but calculus is more for people who want to become engineers or mathematicians or something like that. I mean, I'm not the wisest person on this topic but as someone who already took AP calc in high school, I would say AP statistics is more useful for a major in Pharmacy.

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to AP classes. This year (11th) I took AP History and AP Calc, and next year I'm thinking about AP Bio, AP Lit, and/or AP Physics. I'm taking Anatomy and Government as well.

I vote AP Calc because if you get a 4 or 5 on AP exam some colleges won't require you to take it freshmen year of college. And ALL colleges, despite your major, requires you to take Calc, so you might as well get it done with now.

thats seems like a good schedule, it's a good idea to take harder classes because since many kids take it light during their senior year, colleges will see that you like to challenge yourself.

I took AP Statistics this year and found it to be relatively easy (for an AP class). Everything about it has real life application, and I can see how it would be more useful for a Pharmacy major. With your schedule, I say take Stats.

well first of all, i hope you've gotten enough knowledge about both courses. ap calc is more mathematically based, fit for engineers, mathematicians, and physicists. However, since you're doing pharmacy, AP stat would be a lot better for you. drug statistics for example could help you in your field. this is why you should take ap stat.

• Ronyea

AP Calculus is definitely harder. Statistics is much easier.