Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

In baseball; What is a "Fungo"?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Ryan R
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Nobody has actually answered the question correctly. A "fungo" is the term for a baseball hit by a coach to fielders during practice before a game: "Let's hit some fungoes."

The coach who hits fungoes is supposed to stand in a fungo circle. Some older ballparks, such as Fenway Park, still have fungo circles; they are the large dirt circles on either side of the home plate area. By hitting fungoes from the circles designated for the purpose, the coaches stay away from the the plate area and avoid digging up the dirt there or messing up the batters' and catcher's boxes and foul lines.

Everybody else here has told you what a fungo BAT is. There is a difference between a fungo, a fungo bat, and a fungo circle.

Source(s): 15-year umpire; Merriam-Webster dictionary
  • 1 decade ago

A Fungo bat is a longer, skinnier bat. Coaches use it in practice and warm-ups. It's easier to hit a baseball that you toss to yourself, then with a regular bat. The ball travels farther on fly balls and faster on ground balls with less effort and grunting from the coaches. It has a hollow core which allows the ball to jump off the bat better. After hitting a bunch of practice fly balls with a regular bat, I have a bunch callouses and I'm exhausted. A Fungo bat is just an easier way to go to get the same effect.

• 1 decade ago

A Fungo is usually a longer and skinnier type of bat. These are used for practice used on warm ups for games. On Major League fields, you will see two circles on each side of the basepath in foul territory. These are where the coaches stand to hit groundballs to the person fielding them. fungos also usually have a hollow middle, like my coaches.

• 1 decade ago

A type of bat used for practice... for example you would use this when you toss a ball in the air for you to hit.. don't use a fungo bat for when someone is pitching at you. Used for practice

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Fungo is a type of bat. it is not a juiced bat but you can compare it to that. it is used mostly by coaches to hit fielding practice

• 1 decade ago

A Fungo is a bat used by coaching staff when hitting grounders and fly balls during practice...

• 1 decade ago

In addition to the other answers . . .

because of its structure, a fungo bat is easier to break than a normal bat and, therefore, it is a good idea not to use it against live pitching.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's actually a bat. Coaches use it for hitting fly balls and grounders to their players. It's long and skinny with the barrel at the very end of the bat. The ball jumps off this bat which is why it's illegal to use in any organized baseball league.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I love the Pedroia one. He proved everyone wrong. I don't think it's a "this is beyond baseball commercial" but I love the commercial when the players are coming up with ideas and Longoria says "a senior prom, for senior citizens."

• 1 decade ago

a longer skinnier bat

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.