Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

Question about gears and shifting on motorcycle?

I'm learning how to ride a bike and am really confused by gears and shifting, I think I'm making this much more complicated than it actually is. First is down, and half click up is neutral. My buddy explained to me that their are not actually six different clicks up, he said that there is basically one click up but you keep clicking up so basically you keep kicking the thing up to the same spot, not six different spots one higher than the other if that makes any sense. I understand that now but that has me confused as far as downshifting. Since there is only one click up wouldn't a single click down put me in neutral? If so how do I downshift through five gears if the first kick down is going to put me in neutral? Hope this isn't too confusing how I explained it.

Let me clarify since the first guy didnt answer my question at all. It's my understanding that you aren't kicking up into six differnt gears in terms of ur six clicks up. I was told there's basically only one click up but you click up 6 times. If thats the case when shifting down wont one click down put me into neutral?

Best Answer

If you are in a higher gear, just pull in the clutch handle and click down a few times. You typically do this when approaching a junction to stop. You might be in gear 5 and want to be in first to take of again. Watch a bike rider's left foot at the approach a junction, it pushes down on the gear lever several times in rapid succession. You don't need to count, because you'll be able to feel when you get to first, it won't click any more.

The lever has down, up, half-up and half-down. Down takes you down a gear, up takes you up a gear, half-up from 1st takes you to neutral and half-down from second takes you to neutral, although this is usually harder to do and not a normal thing to do.

It's trival after a minute of trying it.

the gears are 1 N 2 3 4 5 6 like that..so if ur at 4 gear and you kick down ur gonna be at 3,

at each shift the shifting forks return to pick up the next gear, 1st N returns 2nd returns 3rd etc can you drive a standard auto ??? where a auto you can go from 5th to 1st on a MC you have to click it down then start over on the up shift

when coming to a stop use the gears to slow you like the big trucks do before applying the brakes

The easist way to answer this question is to tell you to try it. Have your bike in top gear and push the gear shifter all the way down once. You should be in the next lowest gear. The gear shifter works like a rachet wrench. If you are in neutral after this first push take your bike to a mechanic. Its broken.

The gears are set out like you know

6

5

4

3

2

----N

1

But as you ask, if you were in 2nd and shifted down one 'click' you would be in first. If you were in 1st and shifted one 'click' up you would be in 2nd.

This is because neutral is between 1st and 2nd, a half 'click', if you fully shift up or down you won't hit neutral.

The best way to get neutral if put the bike in 1st and SLIGHTLY shift up, you will then not hit neutral and not carry on into 2nd.

• ZX3R

The first guy did anwer. If you click down all feather footed, you'll be in nuetral. Slam your foot down on the peddle and it should go into the next lower gear. After a while you can listen to the engine and tell what gear your in or if you even need to shift up or down.

The answer is no. One down is not nuetral from any gear. quit sugar footin and stomp the peddle.

Answers r Us is correct. The only place you will find neutral is between 1rst gear and 2nd gear.

6

5

4

3

2

Neutral

1

Welcome to the sport.

Search for question -

How do you shift gears on a motorcycle; how do you know what gear your in?

My answer will explain how the shift lever works and make everything understandable.

it is basically a "ratchet"

if you shift up to the top gear, clicking down one doesn't bring you to neutral, it brings you down a gear until you get down to 2nd...

85% of all motorcyclists who crash in their first year have NEVER had a formal training course.

The MSF foundation will be more than happy to teach you the RIGHT way to ride a motorcycle, including everything you wanted to know about shifting.

Or you can be another statistic.