Question about gears and shifting on motorcycle?

I'm learning how to ride a bike and am really confused by gears and shifting, I think I'm making this much more complicated than it actually is. First is down, and half click up is neutral. My buddy explained to me that their are not actually six different clicks up, he said that there is basically one... show more I'm learning how to ride a bike and am really confused by gears and shifting, I think I'm making this much more complicated than it actually is. First is down, and half click up is neutral. My buddy explained to me that their are not actually six different clicks up, he said that there is basically one click up but you keep clicking up so basically you keep kicking the thing up to the same spot, not six different spots one higher than the other if that makes any sense. I understand that now but that has me confused as far as downshifting. Since there is only one click up wouldn't a single click down put me in neutral? If so how do I downshift through five gears if the first kick down is going to put me in neutral? Hope this isn't too confusing how I explained it.
Update: Let me clarify since the first guy didnt answer my question at all. It's my understanding that you aren't kicking up into six differnt gears in terms of ur six clicks up. I was told there's basically only one click up but you click up 6 times. If thats the case when shifting down wont one click down put... show more Let me clarify since the first guy didnt answer my question at all. It's my understanding that you aren't kicking up into six differnt gears in terms of ur six clicks up. I was told there's basically only one click up but you click up 6 times. If thats the case when shifting down wont one click down put me into neutral?