Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Ray asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

preliminary hearing?

I live in PA. I've got a preliminary hearing in a month on a 3rd degree misdemeanor charge of furnishing alcohol to a minor (1 count). This is my first offense and I'm a college student. What will happen at this hearing?

Facts of the case:

- Undercover cop saw me give a couple 40's to my 20-year-old friend. I was cooperative with the officer and given a citation.

- I've never been in trouble with the law before. This was a dumb mistake and I'm accepting responsibility so I plan on pleading guilty to the charge.

Favorite Answer

Providing Alcohol to Persons Under 21

In Pennsylvania, as in every state and the District of Columbia, it is illegal for a person to provide alcohol to anyone under 21 years of age. An exception to Pennsylvania’s law is allowed for religious purposes. A violation of this law is a 3rd degree misdemeanor punishable by:

• A fine of $1,000-$2,500 and/or up to 1 year imprisonment on a first offense.

• A fine of $2,500 and up to 1 year imprisonment for subsequent offenses.

Allowing Alcohol Possession or Consumption by Persons Under 21

On Private Premises, currently 15 states have specific laws in place prohibiting an adult from allowing possession or consumption of alcohol by individuals under the age of 21 on a premise under his/her control.

In Pennsylvania, an exception is allowed for religious purposes.

A violation of this law is a 3rd degree misdemeanor punishable by:

The court will look at your background, employment status, education, etc., and most likely suspend any jail sentence but impose court costs and fines in addition to placing you on probation!

Source(s): Police Officer +30 years