Value at Risk with Excel?

Hi, with a set of data, on foreign currency, how to I go about caluculating the Value At Risk (VAR) of the data. I understand only the theory part of VAR, but am not sure how to apply the techniques. Anyone is kind enough to provide me with a step by step analysis?

I have the historical data for a currency, say EUR/USD for the past 2 months, with that, how do I go about doing it?

Favorite Answer

1. Find a set of return data from a set of price/rate data: = P2/P1 - 1 or Ln(P2) - Ln(P1)

2. Calculate mean = AVERAGE(return data)

3. Calculate stdev = STDEV(return data)

4. Calculate VaR (99% confidence level) = mean - 2.33*stdev, should be negative.

5. today value = latest price/rate data

6. tomorrow worst case = today value* (1 + VaR)

note: daily data of one asset

If a portfolio of assets,

The steps:

1. Collect historical daily data for asset A prices and calculate the daily return.

2. Collect historical daily date for asset B prices and calculate the daily return.

3. Generate covariance matrix for asset A and B.

4. Calculate portfolio variance and standard deviation. In Excel, it can be done using MMULT(MMULT(TRANSPOSE(value),covariancematrix),value)

5. Calculate VaR at 99% confidence level as 2.326 multiply by standard deviation.

6. Tomorrow's worst value = Today's value - VaR

Value At Risk Excel

Hope this helps!