Chris asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 1 decade ago

What will the future really be like 50-100 years from now?

Everyone thinks the future will be awesome and sci-fi with flying antigravity cars and commercial space travel, etc.

What if thats not the case?

falling fuel supplies and rising energy prices from an over stretched infrastructure tax us even today. In some parts of the world gasoline is currently $12 per gallon.

One could speculate and say that eventually gas prices will rise to a level that makes it only available to governments, farmers, and multi-national corperations.

The rest of us (unless we are millionairs) will have electric cars but by that point, gasoline is mostly just a high cost luxuary item so most of the burden will switch to the electrical system which of course wont be able to handle the burden, so then one can conclude that electricity prices will follow gas because more power drain = the need for more coal plants.

so by the time its all said and done (25-100 years from now) There will be a huge shift in the standard of living in the world. People will revert back

Favorite Answer

Hmm, two DGIs and one person with half-a-clue; that's about par for the course on Yahoo Answers. Well, I'm a doomer so I'm going to support you in your anxieties. I think we're on the verge of a classic "dieoff" event, that is to say a massive involuntary reduction in population.

The problem is that the huge population of the present day was only made possible by modern agriculture which is totally dependant on a steady supply of fossil fuel. Modern agriculture uses an average of ten calories of fossil fuel energy for every calorie of food it produces. The fertilizer necesary for the huge crop yields is made from natural gas. The fleets of tractors and combines run on gasoline. Even the pesticides are partly petroleum-based. The transportation network that carries the raw food to processing and the processed food to us runs on a sea of gasoline.

If and when all this fossil fuel becomes too expensive to use for these purposes, then modern civilization is over. A massive dieoff will inevitably begin and continue until the population has crashed to a level that can be supported without modern agriculture.

The largest number of people that can possibly be supported by pre-industrial agriculture is about 500 million, and when I say "possibly", what I mean is that it's a real stretch. Right now there's somewhere between six and seven billion people on this planet. All these "excess" humans are going to die; there's just NO WAY this can be avoided.

The optimistic figure of 500 million assumes that that the majority of these people are smoothly retrained in the skills of tradiional (ie, pre-industrial) agriculture. It also assumes there's no major war(s) in the next 50 years involving the use of WMDs. Both of these assumptions are extremely optimistic and thus probably dead wrong.

In fact, the end of the Oil Age is already starting to collapse the geopolitical structure of the planet. It's likely that the struggle for the last supplies of high-quality oil is going to get ugly. People do bad things when they're desperate....

As for relearning the skills of traditional farming, we should be starting that on a large scale NOW!

And how many people are?

It's great you're asking this, but the only Question that really matters is whether you and the people you care about are going to be among the survivors of what's coming....

Barrow-Wight

To tell you the truth I'm not sure. Because of Today's Global Crisis, & who knows WW3 could happen as well so really the future is really uncertain.

So 50-100 years from now, The World could be very different from what it is right now, & definitely more technologically advanced. Or this World could be completely obliterated. & The Human Race could be extinct. That if WW3 happens soon, Which I hope it won't.

• meg

Not that different than today. Technologies improve rapidly when they start and then plateau so projecting new developments forward leads to huge overestimates of their improvement. If you had a "new" 1947 car you would not notice much difference except the gas mileage but one from 1908 could not be used today. I live in a house built in the 1880's and they only changes it needed to fit into today's world is updated plumbing and electricity. The big changes in the last 50 years has been in communication and entertainment, but I suspect that it is plateauing. The big changes are more likely to occur in biology and medicine. As the country becomes less white their will also probably be fundamental changes in our culture. New energy sources will be used but in such a way that it will fit info our current infrastructure and our cars will probably be electric.

• devoti

I feel we will be able to retain to make advances within the sciences and being human, will combat our wars till we both blow ourselves to oblivion or nature takes over because it on the whole did millenniums in the past while the entire advances we made then had been destroyed through an giant average disaster.

That's a good question. I think the world probably would have flying cars, but they won't fly as high as an airplane, of course. They would be A LOT faster than cars and the traffic wouldn't be so bad. There would probably be less accidents as well. I think that the future will also have ring phones, rings that act as tiny cell phones!