amyjp612 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Smooth Coated Collie?

I love this breed! Can you tell me more about them?

Also, does anyone know of any good breeders (I like to research them way in advance)?

Well, I know that smooth and rough are the same breed just different coats, but I know nothing about collies. Also, sometimes breeding for a different quality (i.e. coat), can cause differences in personality.

I do know about diseases of different breeds too, especially Collie Eye Anomaly in Collies.

I'm not a moron. Read my profile.

Best Answer

Smooth and Rough Collies are the same dog, just with differen coat types, like a chocolate or a black lab.

If you want:

A large, but elegant and graceful rather than powerful dog

Comes in two coat lengths and many striking colors

Are sensitive and sweet-natured

Will make a good watchdog, but is not aggressive

Are polite with strangers and other pets

Needs only moderate exercise

A Rough or Smooth Collie may be right for you.

If you don't want to deal with...

"Separation anxiety" (destructiveness and barking) when left alone too much

Shyness or fearfulness in some lines, or when not socialized enough

Emotional sensitivity to stress, loud voices, and sudden sounds

Stubbornness

Chasing and nipping at things that move: children, joggers, other animals, bikes, cars

Barking

Lots of brushing and combing (Rough coat)

Heavy shedding (both coats)

Serious health problems

A Smooth or Rough Collie may not be right for you.

If I were considering a Collie...

My major concerns would be:

Providing enough exercise and mental stimulation. Though they don't need miles of running exercise, Collies MUST have regular opportunities to vent their energy and do interesting things. Otherwise they will become rambunctious and bored -- which they usually express by barking and destructive chewing.

If you simply want a pet for your family, and don't have the time or inclination to take your dog running or hiking or biking or swimming, or to get involved in herding, or agility (obstacle course), or advanced obedience, or tracking, or a similar canine activity, I do not recommend this breed.

Collies were never intended to be simply household pets. Their working behaviors (chasing, nipping, poking, barking) are inappropriate in a normal household setting. Trying to suppress these "hardwired" behaviors, without providing alternate outlets for their energy, can be difficult.

Separation anxiety. More than most other breeds, Rough and Smooth Collies need a great deal of companionship and do not like being left alone for more than a few hours. They become anxious, which they express by chewing and barking. If you work all day, this is not the breed for you.

Timidity. Standoffish by nature, Collies need extensive exposure to people and to unusual sights and sounds. Otherwise their natural caution can become shyness or suspiciousness, or fearfulness, which are difficult to live with and can lead to defensive biting.

Emotional sensitivity. Be honest...is there tension in your home? Are people loud or angry or emotional? Are there arguments or fights? Collies are extremely sensitive to stress and may behave neurotically if the people in their home are having family problems. Collies are peaceful dogs who need a harmonious home.

If you have small children, I do not recommend Collie puppies. The temptation to play too roughly and nip at moving children is simply too strong in many young Collies. And the temptation to play too roughly with sensitive Collie puppies is simply too strong in small children. The Collie may feel overwhelmed by the loud voices and quick movements that children can't help making -- and stress and shyness may be the result.

Stubbornness. Collies are not Golden Retrievers. They are versatile working dogs, capable of learning a great deal, but they can be stubborn and manipulative. You must show them, through absolute consistency, that you mean what you say. But you also need a light hand on the leash, because if you correct them too harshly, they may "shut down" or become even more resistant.

Barking. Some Collies, especially those who are highstrung or bored, are often too quick to sound the alarm at every new sight and sound. You have to be equally quick to stop them. For the same reason, Collies should NEVER be left outside in your yard, unsupervised.

Heavy shedding. Rough and Smooth Collies shed a LOT. You'll find hair and fur is deposited all over your clothing, upholstery, carpeting, under your furniture, on your countertops -- even in your food. Frequent vacuuming will become a way of life. Make sure you are REALLY up for this.

Lots of brushing. Without frequent brushing, Rough Collies will become a matted mess. Even Smooth Collies need frequent brushing because of all the shedding. Hairs that end up in the brush do not end up on your clothes, furniture, and floor.

Serious health problems. Eye diseases that can lead to blindness are virtually an epidemic in Collies today.

Smooth collies are active, sensitive and sweet dogs. As pups, they tend to distribute herding behavior but fortunately grow out of it most times. They are suspicious of strangers but not aggressive.

Being as active as they are, they need a good amount of exercise. A long, daily walk should do.

As for breeders, I don't know your area so all I can say is to look in the classifieds or online breeder directories, like puppysites.com. Good luck!

• ?

at the beginning you're bathing this pup lots too often - it particularly is drying out his hair and coat. He particularly desires oil in his food precise now - some million tablespoon an afternoon. Salmon oil drugs are ideas-blowing, too, and if this became my canines i could be giving him the salmon oil precise now. yet another factor you are able to attempt is a product made for canines's coats called Linatone. Brushing his coat each couple of days is sturdy - for the reason which you're allotting regardless of oils there are.

Well. there's no way i'm topping Collie's answer! Pick her!!